Nurse Practitioner - Clinical Instructor
Current NYS RN Licensure. Master's Degree in Nursing. NYS Certification as a Nurse Practitioner in Acute Care or Adult Health Nurse Practitioner. Two years current Acute Care or Adult Health Nursing experience.
Acute Care or Adult Health Nurse Practitioner experience in General Medicine.
Responsibilities & Requirements
Stony Brook Medicine's Nurse Practitioners are valuable members of our team who provide clinical services to our patient population. We are seeking candidates who will work with our Hospitalist program to provide clinical services to our inpatient population under the supervision of the identified supervising physician. Qualified candidates will demonstrate superior patient care and possess outstanding communication skills while adhering to our high standard of excellence.
Duties may include the following but are not limited to:
- Conducts comprehensive or episodic health assessment of acute medical patients/families with real or potential acute and/or health problems on medical units, MICR unit, and Respiratory Care unit. These problems may include the psychosocial, cognitive and personal assets and limitations of the patient/family, with emphasis on wellness.
- Establishes medical diagnoses, orders and evaluates diagnostic studies, accompanies patients off the floor for diagnostic testing when clinically required, prescribes and regulates medications, performs and monitors therapeutic procedures, assesses and/or manages follow up plans within the protocols and practice privileges approved by the Supervising Physician.
- Records and documents health appraisal data necessary to maintain, coordinate and/or expedite required services.
- Maintains ongoing communication with Physician collaborator and Associate Director of Nursing relative to select aspects of patient care or administrative issues.
- Acts as a resource and consultant to health care staff.
- Develops, conducts and evaluates formal and/or informal continuing education.
- Participates in the development and revision of nursing standards of care.
- Participates in Nursing, Medical and Administrative committees.
- Maintains and enhances a current level of knowledge relative to professional practice, as well as continuing education requirements necessary for licensure and certification. Attends educational conferences.
- Participates in the research process by contributing ideas, collecting data, sharing knowledge and applying new finding to practice.
- Participates in the development and review of outcome data to measure the quality of patient care.
- Other duties as assigned by the Associate Director of Nursing, Medicine services.
- All clinical data is kept up-to-date in the medical record, daily charting of assessment and treatment is completed, discharge summaries dictated on a timely basis. All chart completion is accomplished in a thorough and timely manner.
- Work as a team member communicating patient care issues clearly and in a way that is advantageous to the team effort.
- Quickly assist and appropriately manage emergency issues with cardiac surgical patients.
- Interpret policies to support decision-making related to patients and families, participate in hospital committees, promote continuing education for PAs. NPs and nurses, attend seminars in surgery, attend continuing education classes/seminars, as needed.
This is a non-tenure track position. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously. Anticipated start date: As soon as possible.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at [email protected].
Stony Brook University is 100% tobacco-free as of January 1, 2016. See our policy and learn more at stonybrook.edu/tobaccofree.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Those interested in this position should fill out an online Applicant Information Survey , submit a State Employment Application , cover letter and resume/CV to the departmental address or fax below.
Director c/o Jenna O'Neill
Department of Emergency Medicine
Stony Brook University Hospital
4th floor, Room 261
Stony Brook, NY 11794-8350
Long Island's premier academic medical center, Stony Brook Medicine represents Stony Brook University's entire medical enterprise and integrates all of Stony Brook's health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. It encompasses Stony Brook University Hospital, Stony Brook Children's Hospital, the six Health Sciences schools - Dental Medicine, Health Technology and Management, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Medicine, Nursing and Social Welfare - as well as the major centers and institutes, programs and more than 50 community-based healthcare settings throughout Suffolk County. With 603 beds, Stony Brook University Hospital serves as Suffolk County's only tertiary care center and Regional Trauma Center. Stony Brook Children's, with more than 180 pediatric specialists in 30 specialties, offers the most advanced pediatric specialty care in the region.
Official Job Title: Nurse Practitioner - Clinical Instructor
Campus: Health Sciences Center
Department: Medicine, Hospitalist Services
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Posting Start Date: 03/27/2018
Posting End Date: 06/30/2018
Applications for this position must be received, as specified in the Application Procedure Section, no later than 5:00 PM Eastern Time on 06/30/2018 , unless specifically noted otherwise in the Special Notes Section.
STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WE ENCOURAGE PROTECTED VETERANS, INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES, WOMEN AND MINORITIES TO APPLY. IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AT http://www.stonybrook.edu/police
Job Category: Health Science and Medical Center Faculty