Department Chair and Professor (Tenure Track Faculty)
UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO
Anschutz Medical Campus
Colorado School of Public Health
Department of Health Systems, Management and Policy
DEPARTMENT CHAIR AND PROFESSOR (TENURE TRACK FACULTY)
NATURE OF WORK
The Colorado School of Public Health is accepting applications and nominations for the position of Department Chair for the Department of Health Systems, Management and Policy. This is a 12-month, tenure-track, full Professor appointment with the primary academic appointment to be held at the University of Colorado Denver, Anschutz Medical Campus.
We seek an innovative leader who will continue the department's evolution, growing its research and educational programs to meet state and regional needs. Current strengths include active research in health economics, health systems, outcomes, cancer prevention and control, risk management for drugs, and health impact assessment. There are abundant opportunities for collaboration across three campuses and in the State of Colorado. We also seek experience and excellence in education, including leadership in development of educational programs and specifically initiatives involving use of novel educational technologies. Additionally, candidates should have relevant administrative experience in academic or other environments.
The Department of Health Systems, Management and Policy currently has 10 primary faculty members, 22 adjunct and 7 clinical faculty as well as a slate of educational programs that includes an MPH in Health Systems, Management and Policy; an MPH in Health Systems Management; an MPH in Global Public Health/Health Systems Management and Policy; and an MPH, an MS, and a PhD in Health Services Research. Among the top priorities of the Department for the coming years are the conception of a Health Economics MS/PhD program, the development of an evidence-based policy lab on policy dissemination, and the creation of alliances with other departments, programs, and centers to provide analytic and economic expertise.
The School of Public Health, celebrating its 10th anniversary, is a collaborative endeavor involving the University of Colorado Denver (CU Denver), Colorado State University (CSU), and the University of Northern Colorado (UNC). The Colorado School of Public Health is the first and only accredited school of public health in the Rocky Mountain Region, attracting top tier faculty and students from across the country, and providing a vital contribution towards ensuring our region's health and wellbeing. Collaboratively formed in 2008 by the University of Colorado Denver, CSU and UNC, the Colorado School of Public Health provides training, innovative research and community service to actively address public health issues including chronic disease, access to healthcare, environmental threats, emerging infectious diseases, and costly injuries.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado, the largest academic health center in the Rocky Mountain region and one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. Currently home to 21,000 employees, more than 4,000 degree-seeking students and two nationally recognized hospitals that handle 1.7 million patient visits each year, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future, carries out a broad range of research, and cares for the state's children, adults, and veterans. CU Anschutz features schools of medicine, pharmacy, dental medicine and public health, a college of nursing and a graduate school.
The Department Chair reports to the Dean of the Colorado School of Public Health.
The Department Chair oversees the department's faculty and staff.
- Administer an academic enterprise at the department level and foster collegiality and creativity among faculty.
- Develop alliances and strengthen the department's role and influence regarding health policy, policy analysis, and policy dissemination at local, state, and national levels.
- Obtain and secure grants, contracts, and endowment funding.
- Create and lead new initiatives toward additional educational programs. Teach and mentor students at the graduate level.
- Conduct research in one or more fields relevant to the Department's mission. Demonstrate a strong publication record in peer-reviewed journals.
- Manage faculty and staff roles and responsibilities; and create a mentoring environment.
- Represent and advocate for the department within the ColoradoSPH and the Anschutz Medical Campus, with partner universities, with local and government agencies, and with constituent communities.
SALARY / BENEFITS:
The salary range for this position is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at http://www.cu.edu/employee-services
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- An academic doctorate in one of the related fields, such as Health Economics, Business, Health Services Research, Policy or Administration.
- An established record of excellence in research, teaching and leadership and service; specifically, academic and scholarly accomplishments commensurate with the criteria for appointment at the academic rank of full Professor at the University of Colorado, Colorado School of Public Health.
- Demonstrated success in directing educational programs with an outstanding record of teaching and mentoring.
- A proven record of successful administrative leadership in a university setting. Specifically, a portfolio that demonstrates strategic and creative initiatives toward obtaining external funding, managing complex budgets, and attracting high-end faculty.
- Experience managing an academic department or other unit on a major academic and research Health Sciences Campus, or relevant equivalent experience.
- Experience in working with campus leaders and programs to build centralized support facilities to achieve the educational, research and clinical missions of the campus.
- Strong expertise in quantitative methods preferred.
- Experience with cultivating collaborative relationships with university administrators, faculty, staff, students, and alumni, as well as the creation of partnerships both within and outside the university.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Questions should be directed to the search committee chair, Dr. Lee Newman, Professor of Environmental and Occupational Health and Director of the Center for Health, Work and Environment, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Review of applications will continue until position is filled but full consideration will be given to complete applications received by July 31, 2018. Applicants must apply online at http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact. APPLICANTS MUST INCLUDE: 1. A cover letter which addresses the job requirements and outlines relevant qualifications, specifically: a. Statement of leadership and management accomplishments b. Summary of research accomplishments, interests and goals c. Summary of teaching and mentoring experience and accomplishments d. History of research funding 2. A current full curriculum vitae 3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three to five professional references in a separate document.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21439 - CSPH-HSMP General Ops
Posting Date: Mar 28, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Dr. Lee Newman
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00744894