Research Specialist I
Requisition # 2018-8613
Department Integrative Genomics
Category Research and Laboratory
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
The Lewis-Sigler Institute for Integrative Genomics seeks applicants for a Research Specialist I/II position to join the laboratory of Thomas Gregor whose research focuses on the basic physical principles that govern the existence of multicellular life, focusing on embryonic development. We implement state-of-the-art microscopy and microfluidics devices, and make heavy use of tools from molecular biology and genetics. On the theoretical side, we design analytical and numerical models, largely drawn from statistical mechanics ideas, to test and guide our experiments.
Salary and rank will be commensurate with experience. Salary will include the full benefits package. This will be a one-year term position, with the possibility of renewal contingent upon continued funding and satisfactory performance. Review of applications will begin immediately. The position will start as soon as possible.
Specific duties include:
- Fly genetics.
- Basic molecular biology procedures including, but not limited to Crisper-Cas9 cloning.
- Application of microscopy techniques and imaging of live and fixed embryos.
- Participation in shared lab chores, maintenance, inventory, and purchasing.
- Participation in group meetings.
- A bachelor's or master's degree in biology or physics or related field.
- Experience in working with Drosophila is a must, please do not apply otherwise.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Strong attention to detail, and the ability to maintain a meticulous daily laboratory notebook.
- Excellent organizational skills and flexibility to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- The final candidate will be required to pass a background check.
- Laboratory research experience and familiarity with microscopy, basic molecular biology procedures and data analysis.
- Basic mathematical background and programming skills.
- Experience with Matlab.
- The ideal candidate is one who seeks professional development as a scientist and is therefore interested in reading the current scientific literature and conducting an independent research project.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Comments Related to End Date
This will be a one-year term position.
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.