Director of Operations
Director of Operations
University of San Francisco
Under the general supervision and direction of the Dean, the Director of Operations is a key member of the senior leadership team in the School of Nursing and Health Professions (to be referred to in this document as the School). The Director of Operations provides the leadership, management, and vision necessary to ensure that the School has proper operational controls, administrative and reporting procedures, and people systems in place to effectively grow the organization and ensure financial strength and operational efficiency. The Director of Operations will work closely with the Dean to set and advance the School's strategic direction and establish policies that promote the School's culture and vision. This position directs the activities of assigned functions through the management of direct reports including, but not limited to: 2 FTE staff members (Head of Strategy, Planning, and Performance Management and Head of Administrative Support Services), with a total team predicted at approximately 6-8 FTEs.
Strategy and Planning:
• Lead the development, implementation, review, and evaluation of strategies, policies, and processes for the School to ensure strategic objectives are met, quality systems are in place, and infrastructure supports the School’s demands.
• Set and track comprehensive operational and administrative goals to ensure the School’s growth and quality performance.
• Collaborate with the School’s Manager of Strategic Initiatives on internal communications regarding policies and procedures, promoting effective information management.
• Participate with other USF leaders (when possible) to establish campus strategic plans and objectives.
• Develop and enforce information flows and decision-making structure to ensure that information is communicated in a timely and effective manner to appropriate team members.
Budgetary and Financial Management:
• Develop and monitor the School’s operating budget.
• Coordinate all aspects of the School’s resource and budget planning and preparation, including long-range planning and analysis to mitigate risk and ensure the School’s financial health.
• Collaborate with the Dean and faculty to plan and implement faculty FTE management, renewal, and temporary academic budget allocation.
• Provide timely and efficient financial reporting to the Dean and other necessary stakeholders.
Ensure that the School achieves its financial goals and complies with the requirements of University and external authorities.
• Oversee the School’s daily administrative operations (HR, IT, Budget Execution, Procurement, Facilities, Continuity of Operations) through management of the Director of Administrative Support Services.
• Oversee the School’s talent management processes (recruiting, hiring, performance review, disciplinary action) through management of the Director of Strategy, Planning, and Performance Management.
• Drive the measurement and effectiveness of all internal operational and administrative processes.
Support the development and management of the School’s Customer Relationship Management tool, including ensuring the availability of appropriate IT infrastructure and overseeing tool selection, deployment, and management.
Quality Assurance and Process Improvement:
• Set and execute against the strategy for continuous improvement across the School, including:
o Driving and maintaining process improvement strategies and plans.
o Evaluating organizational performance by analyzing and interpreting key performance indicators.
• Oversee the development and implementation of the School’s performance management framework to promote and improve employee effectiveness.
• Support the tracking and reporting of key performance metrics and develop / maintain executive dashboards.
Provide timely, accurate, and complete reports on the School’s operating conditions to ensure strategic objectives are met, quality systems are in place, and infrastructure supports the School’s demands.
• Develop and oversee standards and processes for how the School will develop and maintain a central repository for all relevant documentation and information, such as organizational charts, staff and faculty directories, job descriptions, policies, operating procedures, course curriculum, and syllabi.
• Additional duties as assigned
Masters Degree required in Science, Business, or a related field
5+ years of work experience in Higher Education and / or Operations with progressive levels of management responsibility, ideally having held a senior management-level role (this includes having had responsibilities and authority broader in scope than a front-line manager).
Special Skills Needed:
Experience in fundraising is desired, but not required.
Additional Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Advanced skills and demonstrated competency in strategy development, systems planning, operations management, and execution of key internal initiatives.
• Understanding of organizational functions such as HR, finance, operations, administration, quality assurance, IT, facilities, and other support functions.
• Demonstrated ability to set budgets, develop metrics, and follow up, as well as balance growth and profitability objectives to achieve financial goals.
• Knowledge of fiscal management and human resource management techniques.
• Excellent leadership skills with demonstrated ability in overseeing multiple functions and establishing performance goals for the organization and individual staff members.
• Knowledge and experience in the use of effective influencing tactics and strategies; ability to implement accountability; mentor and empower individuals with the capability to leverage the strength of the team to put people in a position to succeed.
• Exceptional communication skills (verbal and written) and the ability to listen and evaluate with excellent presentation preparation and delivery skills.
• Must have sound judgment in problem-solving and decision-making techniques.
• Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operating metrics.
• Working knowledge of IT/Business infrastructure.
• Outstanding planning, organizational, and analytical skills.
• Excellent interpersonal and public speaking skills.
For information on how to apply, please visit the following link: www.usfjobs.com
The University of San Francisco is an equal opportunity institution of higher education. As a matter of policy, the University does not discriminate in employment, educational services and academic programs on the basis of an individual’s race, color, religion, religious creed, ancestry, national origin, age (except minors), sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition (cancer-related and genetic-related) and disability, and the other bases prohibited by law. The University reasonably accommodates qualified individuals with disabilities under the law.