Visiting Access Specialist - Disability Resources and Educational Services (A1800192)
Visiting Access Specialist
University of Illinois
College of Applied Health Sciences
Division of Disability Resources and Educational Services (DRES)
The Visiting Access Specialist determines eligibility of services and reasonable accommodations for University of Illinois students with psychiatric disabilities and other types of disabilities as needed, remains current with federal and state mandates as they relate to college students with disabilities, and consults and serves as a resource with faculty and campus administrators on accommodations and access issues impacting students with disabilities.
- Consult with students with disabilities and instructors in the planning, determination, and implementation of academic adjustments, modifications, and auxiliary aids and services as required by Section 504 of the Rehab Act, the ADA (1990), and the ADAAA (2008).
- Provide case management services.
- Address physical, programmatic, and attitudinal access issues with other campus administrative and service units relating to the needs of students with disabilities.
- Remain current in the knowledge and understanding of the ADAAA/504 as well as DOJ and ED/OCR decisions relative to post-secondary services to students with disabilities.
- Collaborate with other DRES staff in the ongoing refinement of internal service policies, procedures, and practices.
- Schedule, coordinate, and conduct tours of DRES administrative and service facilities to prospective students, visitors, alumni, AHS interview candidates, faculty/staff, and university officials.
- Provide support services to students such as academic coaching, crisis management, and transition planning as needed.
- Participate in the development and implementation of disability education training for the Illinois campus.
- Assist in maintaining current information on the DRES website.
- Other duties as assigned to further the mission of the unit.
This position requires a master's degree in rehabilitation, psychology, social work, education, or a closely related field. Experience in mental health services and/or working with individuals with mental health disabilities is required. Knowledge of and experience in the delivery of ADAAA/504 mandated post-secondary academic services to students with disabilities, especially with psychiatric disabilities is required. The position requires a productive team player with the ability to deliver a high level of interactive service, develop and maintain collaborative relationships inside and outside of the unit, prioritize effectively, as well as proactively solve problems. The successful applicant must work well under pressure, have the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously with a great deal of accuracy, possess strong written and verbal communication skills along with exceptional organizational skills. The applicant must demonstrate the ability to work well with students, faculty, and staff at all levels within a diverse, multi-cultural, collaborative environment.
Salary is commensurate with experience. This is a 100% time, 12-month visiting appointment. This position may become non-visiting in the future dependent upon funding and programmatic needs. Proposed starting date is June 1, 2018 or as soon as possible after.
For full consideration, please create your candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and the names and email addresses or phone numbers of three professional references by April 23. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered. Candidates may be interviewed before April 23, but no hiring decision will be made before full consideration date.
For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Mindy Rick, 217/333-4600 or [email protected].
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Applied Health Sciences
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Visiting Access Specialist - Disability Resources and Educational Services (A1800192)
Open Date: 04/02/2018
Close Date: 04/23/2018
Organization Name: Student Svc