Working Title: Laboratory Technician
Position Type: University Operational and Administrative Staff
Department: Department of Biology
Posting Date: 03-27-2018
The Department of Biology seeks candidates for a Lab and Research Technician 1 to perform the majority of the day-to-day animal care for the Liu lab to study retinal development degeneration in mice. The incumbent who fills this position will be responsible for performing surgical and tissue collection procedures on small lab animals, assisting with dissections of brain and retina, assisting in performing routine genotyping and routine sectioning and immunostaining, and maintaining experimental data using research software. The incumbent will also help with monitoring, mating, weaning, ear tagging, and tail clipping for the purpose of genotyping, all in accordance with University and federal guidelines for the care and use of laboratory animals. This position is also responsible for training and assisting facility users, documentation of the records and logs, and tracking of facility supplies.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of standard laboratory procedures (weighing chemicals, preparing solutions based on molarity, use of micro-pipettes)
- Ability to follow molecular biology protocols accurately and carefully
- Ability to maintain detailed experimental records
- Ability to work accurately and carefully
- Excellent learning capabilities and analytical skills
- Must be observant so that possible problems with the colony, or any signs of poor health in the animals can be addressed.
- Be able to adapt as the scientific programs evolve, learning new skills and improving on current techniques.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=84204