Senior Facilities Planner
Requisition Number STA - 201000000603
Job Title Senior Facilities Planner
The University of North Texas System invites applications for the position of Senior Project Manager. The University of North Texas System (UNTS) is a dynamic, growing university system serving primarily the North Texas region. The System campuses include the University of North Texas (UNT) Denton campus, the state's fourth largest university with more than 37,000 students; the UNT Health Science Center at Fort Worth, with 2,000 students; and the UNT at Dallas campus with 1,600 students.
This position is responsible for the coordination of real estate items, planning, design and the execution of construction and major renovation projects for the campuses that comprise the University of North Texas System. Work is performed under the supervision of the Associate Vice Chancellor for Facilities Design & Construction.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Manages and monitors project development to ensure meeting project goals, UNT System standards and code compliance.
- Directs the RFQ and RFP processes for selection and approval of professional service providers and prepares final work agreement.
- Represents UNTS at local, regional and state agency meetings when directed.
- Coordinates, conducts administrative and personnel duties as necessary.
- Ensures that campus wide reviews are conducted at the end of each design phase and that a detailed technical review of final construction drawings and specifications is conducted within the time allotted by the approved schedule.
- Coordinates, supervises, and reviews work of consultants engaged to serve UNT System in the development of its physical facilities.
- Assists with the preparation of proposed project budgets and maintains approved budgets through completion of the project.
- Performs other job related duties as required or assigned by the Associate Vice Chancellor for Facilities Design & Construction.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's degree, preferably in Architecture, Architectural Engineering or closely related field; registered architect or interior designer in the State of Texas and eight years of progressively responsible experience in facilities design, construction and maintenance, preferably with experience related to campus planning, design and construction; or any equivalent combination of experience, education or training which provides the following knowledge, abilities and skills.
- Knowledge of Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board and local building codes relating to reporting and usage of physical facilities construction or renovation projects.
- Knowledge of construction types, delivery methods and the advantages of each in an educational setting.
- Working knowledge of mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems as they interrelate to a building project.
- Strong management, supervisory and organizational skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
- Demonstrated success in architectural design or planning on projects for institutions of higher education.
- Strong project management skills with knowledge of facility management principles and practices in a higher education setting.
- Strong knowledge of industry standards, building accessibility requirements, contract language applicable to the construction industry, and applicable relevant legislation.
- Experience related to campus planning, design and construction.
- Registered architect strongly preferred.
- Master's Degree, preferably in Architecture or closely related field.
- Knowledge of Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board relating to reporting and usage of physical facilities construction or renovation projects.
- Knowledge of sustainability practices and development of newer sustainability strategies.
- Knowledge of AutoCAD/Revit, Sketch-up, Adobe Suite including Photoshop and/or Illustrator.
- Skilled in use of Microsoft Word and Excel.
Physical requirements necessary to perform essential job functions
Work is primarily sedentary. Sits comfortably to do the work; however, there may be some walking, standing, bending, or lifting items weighing up to 15 pounds.
Driving University Vehicle? Yes
Substitution of Experience/Education Yes
Ending Date (if temporary)
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter and a list of three professional references with their online application.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Texas Workforce Commission
- HigherEd Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed
- Linked In
- Professional Diversity Network
- Company Website
- Job Fair
- Current Employee
- Other (Specify Below)
- Please specify source from above
(Open Ended Question)
- * What is your highest level of completed education?
- High School/GED
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- PhD (or terminal degree for your discipline)
- * How many years of experience do you have in facilities design, construction and maintenance?
- * Are you a registered architect or interior designer in the State of Texas?
- Cover Letter