The Benefits Advisor provides expertise, program delivery and administration for WGU’s employee benefit programs, as assigned, with the goal to ensure benefit programs are managed and compliant in accordance with federal and state laws and to maintain and enhance employee satisfaction. This position provides analytical, technical and related administrative support to the Senior Manager, Benefits, as well as other Benefits and P&T team members. Our Benefits Advisor is a trusted, respectful and caring customer service provider to our employees and their covered dependents.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Work as part of a team to administer employee benefits across the organization and serve as main point of contact for all inquiries related to assigned benefit programs.
- Collaborates with P&T Team members
- Assists in the development of and coordinates and conducts employee benefit enrollment meetings including but not limited to new employee orientation, employee wellness workshops, and open enrollment roll out.
- Resolve benefit issues for P&T Business Partners, employees, and retirees by collecting information, analyzing data, determining root cause and communicating facts/conclusions clearly and concisely and in a caring manner. Provide responsive customer service support via phone and digital tools; provide support for BFIT inquiries
- May be assigned to administer WGU Leave of Absence programs, ADA accommodations, and Workers Comp cases, including pay component, respond to and resolve escalated leaves of absence matters. Assist in the on-going development and improvement of LOA policies and procedures. Ensure policies are current with applicable FMLA and USERRA laws, as well as state, local and other federal laws surrounding LOAs. Reporting as needed.
- Collaborates with Sr. Manager, Benefits in preparing, updating, and distributing benefits communication materials for programs including health & welfare, life, dental, long term disability and supplemental life insurance, 403(b) Plan, Cafeteria Plan/Flexible Spending Account, COBRA, and other programs as needed.
- Timely audits and processes all benefit invoices (medical, dental, vision, Life Insurance, ancillary, COBRA, FSA and other voluntary plans).
- Performs necessary bi-weekly & quarterly reconciliation with payroll team for accurate employee benefit deductions
- Updates HRIS for all benefit related changes and partners closely with WGU payroll department to ensure timely and accurate results are delivered.
- Assists in maintaining changes and administration of 403(b) retirement savings plan.
- Supports the coordination of annual benefit plan audits, including gathering and organizing comprehensive benefit plan information required to complete the audits.
- Manages enrollments and determines & communicates employee eligibility (ACA, new hire, life events, terminations, COBRA)
- Ensures all required documentation is received for eligibility and keeps employee records accordingly.
- Reviews and explains benefits to new hires; follows-up and ensures new hires enroll in benefits before effective date ; monitors use.
- Assists in verifying 1094-C forms for employees annually.
- Assists in preparing annual participant total rewards statement.
- Coordinates transfer of data to external vendors for eligibility, premiums, COBRA and plan administration.
- Maintains confidentiality!
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- Experience and knowledge in employee benefit programs and administration
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively (in writing and verbally).
- Excellent interpersonal/communication skills, and the ability to effectively explain program details to a diverse community of employees.
- Demonstrated understanding of current regulatory environment for benefits-related issues.
- Possesses strong analytical skills and attention to detail, with the ability to prioritize and organize in a high volume environment.
- Above average proficiency using Microsoft Office, including Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Strong math skills and proficiency in various electronic systems.
- Ability to manage own time and resources effectively in order to maintain, improve and address the benefits needs of employees and managers.
- Demonstrated excellent skills in teamwork, analysis and problem-solving, and customer relations.
- Ability to identify and resolve benefit issues and questions through research, policy/program interpretation, insurance carriers and benefits consultant.
- 4-year Degree or equivalent experience
- 3-5 years of progressive benefits experience in a medium to large size multi-state company
- Multi-state experience preferred
- PHR or CEBS certification a plus
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States