Senior Staff Assistant – Assessment Specialist
Empire State College was established in 1971 by Dr. Ernest Boyer as a distinctive statewide institution focused on innovative and nontraditional teaching and learning.
The college continues its 47-year commitment experimenting with new, flexible, and individualized modes of learning through such practices as mentoring students throughout their academic studies, creating individualized degree plans, valuing learning gained from life and work experience, building professional and social student support communities and creating flexible modes of delivery to meet students' diverse learning preferences. The college now boast over 75,000 proud and successful alumni and partners while serving appropriately 17,500 students a year who want to expand their personal and professional horizons.
Empire State College is a part of the SUNY System and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. With headquarters in Saratoga Springs, New York, ESC serves mostly working adults pursuing associate, bachelor's and master's degrees online and onsite at 35 locations across the state of New York and abroad.
SUNY Empire State College is seeking an Assessment Specialist (State title: Senior Staff Assistant) in the Office of Prior learning at our Cheektowaga location. Assessment Specialists work with colleagues to manage the prior learning assessment (PLA) process for assessing the experiential learning of individual students to determine if it merits the award of college credit.
Responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
- Reviewing student PLA materials
- Advising students and faculty to facilitate development of materials
- Identifying evaluators
- Overseeing distribution of PLA materials to evaluators
- Tracking the evaluation process
- Reviewing submitted evaluator reports for compliance with college policies
- Providing informational/educational programs and materials for students
- Developing and providing training for evaluators
- Working with faculty and academic administration to provide ongoing professional development for the faculty
Specialists also work periodically with the director of the office, faculty, and administration to assess workplace training, licensure or certification requirements and other non-collegiate educational experiences to develop more general professional learning evaluations. In addition, specialists oversee the review of degree programs and completed studies for students preparing to graduate.
The Assessment Specialist is expected to become familiar with Empire State College policies governing individualized degree program planning and the prior learning assessment processes. The specialist is also expected to engage in research and other professional development opportunities to become more familiar with prior learning assessment and curriculum design in general.
- Master's degree
- Experience working in a higher education environment, including working directly with faculty
- Experience advising students in developing written materials such as essays
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent computer and technology skills; ability to work both independently and in a team environment; good organizational and problem-solving skills
- Experience in prior learning assessment
- May involve occasional travel
- VISA sponsorship is not available for this position
- Occasional night or weekend hours may be required
Rank/Salary: $48,000+, dependent on qualifications.
Applications Due by: Applications accepted until position is filled.
Empire State College is an EOE employer.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security