Vice President for Admissions
Alma College seeks an experienced and collaborative senior admissions professional for Vice President for Admissions. Our new colleague will provide leadership to the college’s strategic recruiting initiatives and work closely with colleagues across the campus to meet enrollment goals. The Vice President for Admissions reports to the Chief Operating Officer and works closely with the President as a member of the President’s Cabinet.
About Alma College:
The mission of Alma College is to prepare graduates who will think critically, serve generously, lead purposefully and live responsibly as stewards of the world they bequeath to others.
Alma College is a private, independent four-year liberal arts college located in the city of Alma in the geographic center of Michigan. The college enrolls approximately 1400 undergraduate students from 30 states and eight foreign countries. The average high school GPA of entering students is 3.6, with an average ACT composite of 25. Nearly all of Alma’s students are traditional college age and live in campus housing. Alma College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and will seek re-accreditation in 2019-20 under the Open Pathways model.
Recent national recognition for the college includes:
• Princeton Review’s Colleges That Create Futures: 50 Schools That Launch Careers by Going Beyond the Classroom
• Princeton Review’s Best in the Midwest listing (14th year)
• Fiske Guide to Colleges listing the 300 “best and most interesting schools in the U.S., Canada and Great Britain (32nd year)
• Colleges of Distinction (11th year)
• Through research and innovative thinking, develop creative, data-informed recruiting strategies and procedures to influence prospective students’ enrollment decisions, meet financial aid targets and reach institutional enrollment goals.
• Expand existing markets and explore new markets to enhance recruitment outcomes.
• Lead, guide and encourage the admissions staff in a teamwork environment to recruit students who will be successful and persist in Alma’s rigorous academic environment.
• Professionally represent the college in a variety of settings, both publicly and privately with prospective students and families.
• Serve as an active and collaborative partner with the college’s marketing staff on all facets of external communications including print, web development, digital and social media, ensuring consistent on-brand messaging.
• Collaborate with advancement staff to engage alumni in recruiting efforts.
• Engage faculty and staff across the campus in the recruitment of qualified students.
• Provide information and advice to the campus community and seek their feedback on innovative ways to further the college’s enrollment growth.
• Participate actively and collaboratively on the President’s Cabinet to advance institutional goals.
The successful candidate must be an action-oriented manager with a proven track record of leading ambitious recruiting initiatives in higher education. The college expects the vice president to be an inspirational and innovative leader, an exceptional communicator, a strategic decision-maker and budget manager, a trustworthy and ethical collaborator, a strong advocate for diversity and inclusion and an active and engaged member of the community. Minimum requirements include:
• Five years of professional leadership experience in strategic recruitment in higher education.
• A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field from an accredited institution; master’s degree is preferred.
• Knowledge of and experience with recruitment marketing techniques and current CRM and recruiting technology. Experience with Ellucian Colleague or Slate is preferred.
• Understanding of and commitment to the residential liberal arts experience.
• Experience in international recruiting is preferred.
Confidential inquiries may be addressed to Alan Gatlin by email to [email protected]
For full consideration, submissions should include:
• Letter of interest that responds to the leadership opportunities outlined in this document
• Names, email addresses and phone numbers of four professional references. References will not be contacted without permission of the candidate.
Please submit application materials in PDF format to [email protected] Review of applications will begin April 15, 2018 and continue until the position is filled.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.