Associate Vice Chancellor, Financial Aid
Lone Star College-University Park
Associate Vice Chancellor, Financial Aid
Lone Star College --- a unified system of six comprehensive community campuses offering academic college education, continuing education, business and corporate training, online learning, transitional studies, special programs, and international educational partnerships, and serving 99,000 students --- is seeking an Associate Vice Chancellor for Financial
Aid. The chosen professional will assist in leading the College’s pursuit of excellence in academics, student life, and community service in an environment of cultural and ethnic diversity.
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- Students Matter
- Inspire Excellence
- Act Intentionally
- Better Together
- No Fear!
Nationally recognized, globally connected and locally focused, Lone Star College is the largest college or University in Houston and one of the fastest growing community colleges in the United States. With more than 89,000 credit students each semester and a total enrollment of more than 99,000, Lone Star College is committed to student success and credential completion.
LSC adds nearly $3 billion to the local and regional economy by providing educational opportunities across the north Houston region.
Lone Star College-System Office employees are based at one of two System Office locations; The Woodlands and University Park. Both are the site for multiple administrative departments and system-wide training programs.
This position is located at LSC-System Office, University Park at 20515 SH 249, Houston, TX 77070
Purpose and Scope
This position reports to the Executive Vice Chancellor (EVC) / Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and provides overall strategic leadership and administration for all aspects of Financial Aid. Responsible for strategic planning, development, implementation, and review of student support operations. Works collaboratively with institutional internal and external stakeholders to ensure full regulatory compliance for student support operations. The successful candidate will be a proven higher education administrator who possesses a current and thorough knowledge of all financial aid within a college environment.
Responsibilities include developing long-term goals and objectives; ensuring compliance with federal and state regulations and grant requirements; approving deviations from policies and procedures and developing financial, statistical, and operational reports submitted to external funding sources and regulatory bodies; and overseeing and monitoring the critical flow of all grant, loan, and scholarship dollars to proper entities as required. Monitors and tracks operations and addresses all required Department of Education and other appropriate reporting. Resolves matters prior to escalation and is accountable for improving operational efficiencies and implementation and review of Satisfactory Academic Progress, Student Loans, and Award Student Aid.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provides direst staff oversight, including prioritizing and assigning work; conducting performance evaluations; ensuring compliance with all institutional policies and procedures; maintaining a healthy and safe working environment; and making hiring, termination, and disciplinary decisions in consultation with the EVC; identify development and support needs to facilitate appropriate training
- Ensures compliance with Federal, State, and local laws, regulations, codes, and/or standards and grant regulations; coordinating activities between multiple departments or functions among multiple campuses
- Provide strategic vision and long-term operational leadership for Financial Aid and related programs and services; actively engages in strategic planning and strategic enrollment management planning and execution
- Stays abreast of U.S. Department of Education (DOE) policies to ensure with local, state, and federal regulations; oversees the preparation and monitoring of fiscal and technical reports; implement strategies to positively impact key metrics i.e. student loan programs, managing applications, Pell awards and business processes supporting accuracy in Title IX, return to Title IV, SAP, ineligible high schools, grant/scholarship awards and students purged from non- payment; develop strategies to increase applications and awarding of Pell
- Understand and maintain compliance with all state and federal laws and regulations pertaining to Financial Aid, including State Authorization, accrediting bodies, Texas higher Education Coordinating Board
- Responsible for maintaining Title IV Participation Agreement with the DOE; ensures new programs and locations are submitted for approval of funding and ensures compliance with Title IV aid programs
- Oversee coordination of all student loan processes, Title IV refunds and repayments, including DOE and National Student Loan Data System notifications
- Maintain a student centered operation that anticipates and responds to potential issues and recommending or implementing a plan of action that will efficiently resolve the issue
- Develops and maintains internal and external relationships; actively participates on committees, task forces and advisory groups; ensures effective communication with students and all departments and campuses; provides ongoing training and development to students, faculty and staff on related issues
- Use of data analytics to inform and update stakeholders on progress towards enrollment and retention goals
- Analyzes trends and metrics related to higher education Financial Aid to support quality and efficiency
- Regularly conducts internal audits to test and improve all related business processes and systems
- Responsible for other reasonable related duties as assigned
Work Schedule & Conditions:
- PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment; online learning technology systems and leading-edge instructional technologies
- Internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position; may require some travel via private car
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
- Master’s degree required and at least 10 years of related work experience, at least 5 of them in a management or director-level position
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered
- Knowledge of federal and state financial aid in a higher education environment
- Ability to establish and maintain positive and effective working relationships with students, campuses, college employees and the public; high level of energy and capacity for extraordinary time and effort demands
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proven expertise in Financial Aid, including the ability to identify and implement flexible, accessible oversight of comprehensive support operations for students eligible for financial aid
- Knowledge of or ability to master quickly, Southern Association of Schools and Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board financial aid guidelines
- Thorough knowledge of available private, state, and federal financial aid programs
- Proven business acumen with an understanding of how Financial Aid works together with LSC to make Lone Star College successful as a business providing high quality education
- Ability to make decisions based on available information and flexibility as circumstances change
- Understanding of the business and student services sides of financial aid
- Ability to establish strategy and direction for department with strong problem solving and team building skills
- Ability to promote diversity and maintain a positive attitude in demanding work environment
- Above average skills in utilization of computer systems to extract and report information, including PeopleSoft and other applications along with assistive technologies
- Knowledge of budgeting principles
- Experience interpreting and applying applicable Federal, State and local laws, rules, regulations, codes, and /or statues related to Financial Aid
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Minimal physical effort is required
This is a confidential search process guided by an external search consultant, Dr. Dennis Michaelis, who is the ONLY recipient of your materials. The following four items are required to be submitted directly and only to the search consultant via e-mail attachments:
1. COVER LETTER, limited to no more than 4 typed pages, detailing how your education experiences/background align with this Position Profile.
2. RESUME, limited to no more than 6 typed pages.
3. REFERENCES, limited to 1 typed page, and including two supervisors, two direct reports, two full-time faculty members, and one community reference. The references must include names, titles, business and personal phone numbers, and e-mail addresses. References will not be contacted without the consultant’s prior notification to the applicant.
4. TRANSCRIPT OF ALL DEGREES
Important Note: All attachments are to be in Microsoft Word or PDF format, and file names must begin with applicant’s initials (example: ABCcover, ABCres, ABCref, ABCtrans).
Review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. It is preferred, however, that application materials be submitted by Monday, May 7, 2018 and no later than Friday, May 11, 2018.
For questions related to the search process, calendar, and Position Profile contact Search Liaison Helen Clougherty, Vice Chancellor, Chief of Staff/Board Liaison at Helen.Clougherty@LoneStar.edu
For other questions, contact the Search Consultant via e-mail noted below (including requests for phone conversation, in which you should also list times and number at which you may be reached).
Dr. Dennis Michaelis
Gold Hill Associates
Apply for Associate Vice Chancellor, Financial Aid
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly