Laboratory Technician 2
Working Title: Laboratory Technician 2
Position Type: University Operational and Administrative Staff
Department: Cardiovascular Research Center
Posting Date: 03-26-2018
The The Robert M. Berne Cardiovascular Research Center is currently seeking a Laboratory Technician 2 to participate in an assigned lab that researches cardiovascular disease related to the genetic causes of heart failure and potential novel clinical therapies to treat myocardial infarctions. This position represents an opportunity to advance knowledge, learn practical lab-based skills, gain research experience, and participate in exciting science for a highly-motivated individual.
The lab culture is characterized by 1) hard work; 2) meticulous attention to detail; 3) an expectation that staff and trainees take full ownership of research projects; 4) a sense of community, collegiality, and collaboration; 5) lab personnel taking the initiative and having responsibility for promoting overall lab productivity and research quality; and 6) a high level of creativity, innovation, and overall productivity.
Applicants should have a background in laboratory research. Specifically, the job requires lab bench-related research, including but not limited to assisting with experiments including PCR-based genotyping, cell isolation and culture, Western blotting, general histochemical and immunofluorescence staining, and microscopy. The work will involve some supervised work with our transgenic mice colony ? setting-up basic breeding crosses. There are also opportunities to assist with in vivo cardiac experiments, perform echocardiography, and develop an understanding of cardiac physiology.
We will teach the applicant all techniques, methods, and protocols necessary for the project.
An Associate's degree or higher is required. Experience gained while a student may be considered.
The University of Virginia is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
This is a one-year restricted position with possibility of extension beyond one-year contingent upon the continuation of funding.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Ability to work autonomously and to creatively resolve problems.
2. Ability to work accurately with attention to detail, including careful documentation of lab work.
3. Ability to analyze and organize work procedures.
4. Ability to collect data or samples.
5. Knowledge of the theory and application of the physical sciences and instrumentation related to field of assignment.
6. Knowledge of general laboratory procedures and equipment.
7. Knowledge of analytical techniques in chemistry, biology, or related sciences.
8. Ability to plan and execute tasks or experiments.
9. Strong communication and presentation skills in both a scientific and a VC/business environment.
10. Ability to see the "big picture."
11. Ability to work with animals.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=84140