Sector Manager, Career Management Center, FSB
Sector Manager, Career Management Center, FSB
Career Management Center
Sector Manager Career Management Center (CMC) The Fuqua School of Business
The Sector Manager partners with the Sector Directors in the Career Management Center to plan and facilitate engagement opportunities between employers and students within assigned industry sectors. Responsibilities include maintaining day-to-day company relationships and supporting new business development. He/she also may advise both sets of stakeholders on recruiting and industry trends of the sector. This position is an integral part of Fuqua's Career Management Center (CMC) and reports to the Director of Employer Engagement and Operations.
• Bachelor's degree and one year of professional work experience preferred, preferably in career services, recruiting, or customer service.
• Ability to interact effectively and build relationships with a range of constituents including graduate students, business leaders, employers, alumni, faculty, and staff at all levels.
• Self-starter willing to take initiative, think outside the box, seek guidance when needed, and see projects through to completion independently.
• Flexible, adaptable, and comfortable with uncertainty and operating in an entrepreneurial environment.
• Positive attitude, creative thinker, and problem solver.
• Willingness to work flexible hours, including nights and weekends, in support of effective program and event delivery.
• Excellent written, oral and verbal communication skills.
• Must be very comfortable learning and using technology tools including database management, Internet research, Excel, e-mail and other tools.
• Demonstrated comfort with a fast-paced environment and ability to adapt to immediate changes driven by various constituent needs.
Representative Duties and Responsibilities
Relationship management and business development
• Manage and deepen existing recruiting relationships with company contacts in person, by phone and through email.
• Develop a working knowledge of assigned sector trends, positions for which companies hire, and desired qualities in candidates.
• In collaboration with the Sector Director, understand the other organizations and people within Fuqua and Duke whose work focuses upon the assigned sector, and build relationships with those constituents. Partner and share information to better integrate careers and the job search in this sector with other learning opportunities.
• Work closely with Sector Director, other key stakeholders at Duke, and company representatives to develop and execute effective recruiting and student engagement strategies.
• Identify employer targets within the assigned sector and execute a strategy to establish relationships with targeted companies.
Event planning and logistics
• Plan and execute company engagements, including but not limited to the company's formal on-campus recruiting events such as information sessions, office hours, and interviews.
• Plan and execute special student events that enhance their understanding of careers and the job search in the assigned sector.
• Partner with student clubs and employer organizations as they plan events in the assigned sector to minimize or eliminate conflicting activities.
• As part of a broader team, assist with the execution of on-campus recruiting events, interviews, and multi-school career fairs. Marketing and communications • Manage marketing and communications for company engagements and sector events.
• Develop and produce supporting materials for student use at events.
• Develop and produce other sector-specific communication as necessary.
• Represent assigned sector within the CMC in planning and decision processes. Help to ensure that our offerings to both students and employers reflect the sector's unique needs and create a successful platform for companies to engage with, recruit and hire Fuqua students and alumni.
• Manage and participate in other CMC projects or programs as requested.
• Some evening commitments and limited travel may be required. Measures of Success
• Overall effectiveness and efficiency of assigned projects and responsibilities.
• Feedback from surveys, including program-wide, departmental, or activity-specific.
• Employer partner feedback on student participation and preparation levels as well as skills and knowledge of the sector.
• Alignment with Duke core values of learning, diversity, respect, teamwork, and trustworthiness in all interactions and with all internal and external stakeholders. Annual performance review .
1061 CAREER SPECIALIST
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, genderidentity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robustexchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity ofour perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achievethis exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feelsecure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals arerespected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our communityhave a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires communications, analytical and organizational skillsacquired through completion of a bachelor's degree program.
Work requires one year of experience in a placement or other studentservices function to become familiar with career counseling andplacement programs.
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.