UNT Controller - 926200
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; some variance
The System Controller department provides all accounting, reporting, and service focused operations for all University of North Texas System component institutions. The areas of responsibility include Campus Accounting & Reporting, Student Accounting Services, Accounts Payable, Payroll, centralized external and internal financial reporting, and external compliance related reporting.
The University of North Texas System is comprised of three component institutions with four major locations: University of North Texas located in Denton, TX, University of North Texas Health Science Center located in Fort Worth, TX, University of North Texas at Dallas located in the Oak Cliff area of Dallas, TX, and University of North Texas System located in Downtown Dallas, TX.
This position is located at our Business Service Center at Woodhill Square, just south of our flagship campus in Denton.
The UNT Controller Department at the University of North Texas System is seeking to hire a Principal Accountant to join our team. This position performs complex (journey-level) accounting work. Work involves preparing financial statements, records, documents, and reports. May specialize in some phase of accounting work such as federal funds accounting, bank reconciliations, or state funds accounting. Supervise and train others. Works under general supervision, with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Prepares and reviews financial statements, reports, schedules, and exhibits; prepares and audits general journal entries; and prepares and audits payment, cash, purchase, travel, and related vouchers.
* Prepares and reviews periodic analyses of fund balances and expenditures; and prepares technical reports for accounting review.
* Audits accounting and financial documents for accuracy and compliance with departmental policies and procedures and state and federal statutes.
* Classifies, codes, posts, and balances financial and accounting documents and records.
* Checks accounting operations in progress, and reviews and audits completed financial records for accuracy and conformance with legal and departmental procedures and regulations.
* Maintains and determines the accuracy and reliability of accounting records, such as expenditure, fund, appropriation, expense and revenue collection records, and ensures agency assets are accounted for properly.
* Analyzes and recommends improvements, adaptations, or revisions to the accounting system and accompanying procedures.
* Researches and reconciles discrepancies in accounts and reports findings.
* Assists in planning procedures and regulations to control accounting processes and in preparing letters of instruction, manual revisions, and related forms as necessary.
* May instruct staff on the maintenance of accounting records on expenditures and revenue collected, the posting of general ledgers, and the posting of journal entries and/or adjustments.
* May direct the maintenance of accounting records on receipts and disbursements in compliance with state and federal statutes, policies, and procedures.
* May assist in planning accounting and administrative support work procedures.
* May train others.
* Performs related work as assigned.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's Degree in accounting, finance or a related field related field and six years of accounting experience.
The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Knowledge of fiscal programs; of governmental accounting; of budget control methods, policies, and procedures; and of laws and regulations pertaining to financial operations.
* Thorough knowledge of accepted accounting practices, legal statutes, and policy and procedure affecting financial record keeping.
* Skill in the use of office equipment, computers, and associated software applications.
* Ability to interpret and apply accounting theory, to plan and coordinate financial programs, to plan procedures and coordinate accounting operations, to interpret laws and regulations, to communicate effectively, and to train others.
* Skill in using office computer information systems to organize, store, manipulate and retrieve data.
* Effective communications skills both orally and in writing.
* Critical thinking skills.
* Ability to work accurately with numerical detail consistently and to perform accounting operations legibly.
* Ability to analyze, consolidate, and present accounting data in clear concise form.
* Demonstrated ability in coordinating and supervising the work of others.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* State of Texas experience
* Higher education experience
* PeopleSoft financials experience
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Commensurate with experience
Quicklink for Posting