University of Colorado Denver
Student Wellness Center
Position #744687 - Requisition 13044
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The Student Wellness Center has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Maintenance Specialist position.
Located in the heart of downtown, CU Denver provides a vibrant, urban research university experience, with academic programs ranging from the liberal arts and sciences to global energy management, music industry studies and criminal justice among eight schools and colleges. The classroom extends into the city as students study, network and build careers in the surrounding business district. CU Denver unites quality academics, ambitious research and creative work, civic consciousness and driven students-all in the lively setting of downtown Denver. Read CU Denver Quick Facts here
The Downtown Campus, where the Student Wellness Center is located in one of America's most vibrant urban centers. This diversity is enriched by our commitment to a philosophy of inclusion, embedded in all aspects of campus life from its community members, curriculum, research and community service, allowing for the creation of a learning environment that welcomes, embraces, sustains and celebrates the unique and shared experiences of faculty, staff and students.
The Student Wellness Center is a department within the Division of Student Affairs at the University of Colorado Denver. The office is committed to the delivery of quality, student-centered wellness and recreation services. As stewards of student experience at CU Denver, the Student Wellness Center provides inclusive facilities, programs, and services, which focus on the holistic wellness and recreation needs of a diverse study body. The new, 85,000 sq. ft. Student Wellness Center is currently under construction and set to open in spring 2018, in downtown Denver, Colorado.
The Maintenance Specialist is responsible for the operation and general maintenance of the Lola & Rob Salazar Student Wellness Center and assigned equipment. Performs most electrical, plumbing, carpentry, and mechanical repairs as required to keep buildings and equipment in good operating condition. Work includes installing/removing/moving, repairing, renovating, demolishing, maintaining, and painting structures, structural parts, furnishings; routine maintenance/repair of exercise/weight equipment and cleaning machines/tools. Responsible for operation and maintenance of most auxiliary equipment in the facility. Responsible for ensuring equipment operation during the times required and is subject to recall at any time to accomplish successful operations of the buildings. Receives limited supervision. Reports to the Assistant Director of Facilities and Operations.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Maintain and repair the exercise equipment for the Wellness & Recreation Services in accordance with the manufacturer's recommended guidelines, including but not limited to cleaning, lubricating, exchanging worn parts, repairs, diagnoses, over hauling equipment, cable replacement, weight replacements, upholstery replacement, pad replacement and prevention.
- Keep a running inventory of parts and orders the necessary parts and supplies as needed.
- Stay up to date, trained and certified (as available) in the maintenance and repair of the equipment used by the department.
- Maintain the necessary maintenance and repair records in accordance with the guidelines set forth by the manufacturers, warranties, department and University polices.
- Communicate any and all maintenance and safety concerns regarding the exercise equipment.
- Provide oversight and support to the student employees by hiring, training, managing, and evaluating Facility Associates and other maintenance student staff.
- Schedule and lead maintenance meetings, assign job assignments, provide direction and feedback to student employees.
- Determine how to train students in order to accurately provide knowledge to them on the maintenance technician job field; determine appropriate training and schedule for student staff; determine appropriate safety precautions. Participate in student staff training and development to support maintenance area and department goals.
- Develop a comprehensive preventative maintenance and maintenance tracking program. Recommend tasks for external vendors.
- Perform appropriate routine/ required maintenance on building hardware, equipment and involved infrastructure including but not limited to: restroom/shower fixtures and equipment; doors, windows and related hardware; light fixtures and electrical outlets; all equipment and furniture; fire protection equipment; lockers; laundry equipment; and HVAC equipment and infrastructure.
- Performs and documents inspections, test results, and work completed using data base management software system as instructed.
- Communicate the parts, tools and equipment necessary for completion of assigned tasks.
- General Maintenance of the facility to include: Hanging signs, setting up and maintaining sporting equipment, replacing basketball rims and nets, use pressure washer, assisting with assembly of sporting and exercise equipment, installation of shelving or storage solutions.
- Assist with special event set-ups and tear down.
- Oversee deliveries including unloading and occasionally installing materials.
- Cleans storage areas, shop areas, electrical and mechanical rooms and loading dock.
- Collaborate with Facilities & Aquatics Coordinator to ensure that all required maintenance for indoor pool and spa including but not limited to: chemical testing and subsequent adjustments and cleaning and maintain filtration systems.
- Attends staff meetings as required.
- Obtain additional training when necessary.
- Drive University vehicle for various errands/tasks for the Student Wellness Center.
- Other duties as assigned.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range for this position has been established at $43,000 to $47,000 and is commensurate with skills and experience.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
- 2 years of experience in an occupational field related to the work assigned to the position.
Substitution: Appropriate education or completion of a formalized apprenticeship program will substitute on a year-for-year basis.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university.
- Experience with staff supervision and development.
- Experience in higher education or campus recreation setting.
- Experience maintaining fitness equipment and/or pools.
- Aerial/Scissor Lift certification.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Ability to effectively present and communicate policy and procedure to others.
- Ability to work variable schedule which may include early mornings or evenings, as well as weekends and nights.
- Knowledge of basic safety and risk management practices, and industry standards as they relate to exercise facilities, exercise equipment maintenance and aquatics.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to Lindsie Haggerty at Lindsie.Haggerty@ucdenver.edu
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Application deadline is April 6, 2018.
Job Category: Facilities/Labor,Trades & Crafts
Primary Location: Denver
Department: D0001 -- Denver Campus - 30260 - AVCASA-SA Student Wellness Ctr
Posting Date: Mar 26, 2018
Closing Date: Apr 6, 2018, 10:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Lindsie Haggerty
Posting Contact Email: Lindsie.Haggerty@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00744687