South Carolina Honors College
South Carolina Honors College
Advertised Minimum Salary
Advertised Salary Range
Location of Vacancy
Hours per week
Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Must be willing to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the department.Type of Staff Position Full-time Equivalent (FTE) Basis 12 months Job Search Category Administrative
The University of South Carolina System is comprised of the state's flagship university in Columbia (founded in 1801 and currently one of the top 50 "Best Colleges" according to U.S. News and World Report), three regional comprehensive universities (USC Aiken, USC Beaufort and USC Upstate), and Palmetto College consisting of four two-year campuses (USC Lancaster, USC Salkehatchie, USC Sumter, USC Union and Fort Jackson/Extended University). Together, the USC System institutions offer more than 450 degree programs on campus and online and are uniquely positioned to meet the state's educational, cultural, health and research needs. The System employs nearly 14,000 people who work daily to improve the lives of students, fellow South Carolinians and the world. Our diverse engaged faculty and staff enjoy a dynamic and intellectually stimulating work environment.
Advertised Job Summary
As a staff member in the Honors College you will be part of a dynamic, driven and passionate community. From our diverse and highly regarded faculty to our top tier students, everyone here is invested in learning, in and out of the classroom, which is why we're ranked consistently as one of the top honors colleges in the country. Our people are what set the South Carolina Honors College apart. Our faculty and staff are devoted to our students and we pride ourselves on the individual attention and mentoring students receive here. We distinguish ourselves by offering opportunities for learning beyond the classroom.
The Administrative Assistant position serves as an initial contact with students, faculty, and other visitors to the South Carolina Honor College. The employee will perform the following duties:
• Manage office operations and procedures; answer and direct phone calls; regularly check and respond to office voicemail; receive and distribute daily mail; prepare outgoing mailings; inventory supplies; submit work/facility orders; regularly check office e-mail.
• Approve and maintaining timesheets of students in ITAMS completing an Honors College SURF or Exploration grant; assist with monitoring and designating assignments for student assistants.
• Coordinate the hiring and registration process for SCHC Internships and Honors Undergraduate Research grant programs. Register students for Honors and non-honors courses.
• Create, maintain and manage secure, confidential, detailed and accurate academic student records (paper and electronic); update internal database during honors advisement; assist with the Honors academic probation process by generating letters, sending correspondence and filing letters.
• Provides assistance for New Student Orientation, including processing new student forms in Pathfinder and clerical tasks for honors student orientation session.
Bachelor's degree and 2 years of work experience that is directly related to the area of employment, or high school diploma and 6 years work experience that is directly related to the area of employment; or equivalency.Preferred Qualifications
Preference given to those with experience with Banner, Self Service Carolina.Knowledge/Skills/Abilities
The successful candidate will be well organized, have excellent written and oral communication skills, be able to deal diplomatically with various constituent groups and be proficient in Microsoft Office Software (Excel, Word and PowerPoint).
Posting Detail Information
Number of Vacancies 1 Desired Start Date 05/01/2018 If Research Grant/Time Limited, give end date Job Open Date 03/26/2018 Job Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
For full consideration by the search committee, complete applications should be received no later than April 15, 2018.
Positions are advertised for a minimum of five (5) business days on our job website. After five (5) business days, positions can be closed at the discretion of the department at any time. This position is open until filled.
This employment site is updated on a regular basis. The length of the recruitment and screening process may vary from position to position, depending upon a variety of factors. Should review of your qualifications result in a decision to pursue your candidacy, you will be contacted by phone or email.
The University of South Carolina does not discriminate in educational or employment opportunities on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender, age, disability, protected veteran status or genetics.
Hazardous weather category Non-Essential Safety Sensitive or Security Sensitive No
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Do you have at least a Bachelor's degree and two years of work experience related to this position, or a high school diploma and six years of directly related work experience, or equivalency?
Please describe any experience working with Banner.
(Open Ended Question)
Please rate your experience level with Microsoft Office Software (Excel, Word and PowerPoint) and Outlook with 1. being familiarity and 5. being expert level.
- 5 Expert
- 4 Excellent
- 3 Very good
- 2 Good
- 1 Familiarity
- Cover Letter
- List of References and Contact Information