Director, Institutional Compliance
Job no: 494137
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Benefit Status: Benefited-Non-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Salary: Salary commensurate with experience
Applications Open: Mar 26 2018
Applications Close: Open until filled
General Summary of Position:
The role of the Director of the Office of Institutional Compliance (OIC) is to oversee and ensure University compliance with federal regulations that govern research activities and to evaluate and minimize risk from such activities to help ensure the University remains in compliance with regulations and eligible for federal funding. The Director must demonstrate comprehensive knowledge of federal, state, and local regulations governing research activities related to human subject research, animal research, use of biohazardous materials, export controls, special requirements and security oversight for classified projects, state ethics laws, outside activity reporting, and conflicts of interest. The Director develops and implements institutional policies related to the federal, state, and local regulations related to each of the topical areas and then communicates the information to the UMass Lowell administration, faculty, staff, and students as applicable. The Director also serves as a Key Management Personnel and Facility Security Officer for the Department of Defense classified facility oversight and must be able to acquire and hold a Secret security clearance. The Director assists other Departments and staff with other noncompliance concerns to evaluate and assess issues as needed. Many activities require confidentiality.
The Director serves as a single point of contact for all research compliance oversight and serves as a voting member on oversight committees to stay informed of new activities and to coordinate activities that may require more than one type of committee review. The Director also serves as a liaison between the appointed Institutional Official (required per federal regulations) and the faculty or researchers. The OIC Director serves as an active member of the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC), Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC), Institutional Review Board (IRB), campus Conflicts Committee, and Radiation Safety Committee (RSC
The position requires frequent communication with the UMass Office of General Counsel, UMass President's Office personnel, UMass Lowell administrators, Office of Research Administration, Office of Technology Commercialization, Information Technology, International Students and Scholars Office, University Advancement, and with College Deans and Department Chairs, faculty. The OIC Director is responsible to evaluate and implement policies and procedures as needed to ensure compliance in all responsible areas. The Director manages the Office of Institutional Compliance and supervises the Animal Research Compliance Manager, Export Control Compliance Manager, and IRB/IBC Administrator. The Director is responsible for evaluating and investigating non-compliance and works with OIC staff, faculty, and other UMass Lowell Offices as necessary to investigate issues and come to resolutions.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Master's degree with 5-8 years progressive professional level experience in sponsored programs or other administrative office
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a university, research center or institute, government organization, or non-profit agency preferred
- Scientific background preferred to more effectively contribute to committee reviews of research protocols and registrations.
- Comprehensive knowledge of federal research compliance regulations specific to research with animals, human subjects, use of biohazardous materials, conflicts of interest, radiation safety, and activities and materials that fall under export control regulations
- General understanding of classified programs and security requirements
- Computer skills, including database management software
- Strong oral and written skills required for frequent communication, reporting and presentations
- Must be self-motivated with a high degree of initiative and able to multitask with minimal supervision
- Requires strong attention to detail and record keeping skills
- Ability to use discretion and maintain confidentiality when addressing sensitive issues and/or noncompliance investigations
- Ability to develop and implement strategies to meet goals and priorities
- Desire to be engaged in the profession and participate in professional organizations through active membership and external presentation
Given the nature and responsibilities of the position, only U.S. persons (any individual who is a citizen of the United States, a permanent resident alien of the United States, or a protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C.1324b(a)(3)) will be considered for this position
Must be U.S. citizen and subject to background check to acquire Secret level security clearance. Required to review and handle confidential information. Must be able to problem solve unique situations related to research activities and handle confidential information for evaluating conflicts of interests. Provide oversight to Facility Security Officer. Responsible for development and oversight of OIC budget.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information for three references will be required at the time of application.
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.