Learning Lab Instructor, Houston, TX
Clinical Learning Lab Instructor (part-time)
The Clinical Learning Lab Instructor is a clinically experienced subject matter expert who is responsible for facilitating student learning and performance assessment in on-site Clinical Learning Labs. Student learning activities in Clinical Learning Labs range from learning basic nursing skills to resolving simple-to-complex patient care situations via high-fidelity simulation. Teaching responsibilities can include traditional basic nursing skills and/or nursing care with high-fidelity simulation, depending on expertise and interest.
The Clinical Lab Instructor:
- Serves as a professional role model for students in dress, communication, deportment, problem solving, care delivery and patient advocacy to facilitate student’s socialization into the profession.
- Demonstrates understanding of and participates in implementation of the philosophy and goals of the nursing program.
- Demonstrates respect for the student as a new learner by communicating constructive feedback in appropriate ways.
- Uses evidence-based tools and measures to evaluate the students’ clinical learning.
- Maintains daily documentation regarding student learning in the Clinical Learning Labs
- Maintains communication with the National Simulation Program Coordinator in order to make appropriate student referrals for remediation or other needs.
- Engages in teaching groups of students through demonstration, practice and assistance.
- Facilitates student advancement in being able to perform basic nursing skills to being able to resolve simple to complex patient care situations via high-fidelity simulation
- When teaching in a simulated environment, demonstrates ability to facilitate scenarios according to evidence-based standards and guidelines.
- Assists the student with critical thinking, problem solving using reflection, probing, active listening and other clinical teaching strategies.
- Assists students in the application of the nursing process to include assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating nursing care
- Understands and practices the difference between “doing it for” the student and ‘supporting the student as they learn to do it for themselves.
- Assists students in the identification of individual learning needs.
- Provides and maintains a safe learning experience
- Incorporates student and self as an integral part of the nursing team in the provision of safe patient care when teaching in a simulated environment.
- MSN required (contingent on state Board of Nursing regulations)
- Unencumbered RN license in practice state
- Demonstrated clinical expert in an area of nursing expertise
- Nursing education experience as indicated by respective state board of nursing
- Commitment to simulation as both a learning and assessment tool in nursing education
- Experience or interest in teaching nursing skills and simulated patient care scenarios using high-fidelity simulation
- Flexibility in working with changing groups of students in a variety of locales
- Willingness to work 1-3 consecutive weekends every other month as labs occur
- Willingness to commit time to online orientation and training
- Willingness to commit time to pre and post lab preparation and data entry
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Experience with integrated technology systems and tools
Houston, TX, United States