Creative Director, University Relations and Marketing (R-0880)
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Creative Director is the lead graphic designer and provides creative direction for the implementation of Fort Hays State University’s marketing and communication initiatives. This individual is responsible for managing the institution’s brand and identity standards. The Creative Director ensures design and messaging is consistent across university communications and tailored for target audiences, which include prospective and current students, parents, alumni and other stakeholders.
The Creative Director will create designs, concepts and layouts based on knowledge of layout principles and esthetic design concepts to convey each project’s message effectively. The successful candidate will have a thorough understanding of the overall creative process and techniques, including conceptualization, design, copy development, production artwork, pre-press, computer graphics, printing technologies and web design, software and technologies. The person must be experienced in graphic art production, computer graphics applications, digital publishing and multimedia design. The individual must have solid written and verbal communication skills along with the ability to convey concepts and provide design direction.
Necessary knowledge and skills:
- Solid written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with strategic project planning, implementation, management and successful completion.
- Strong conceptual and problem-solving skills in providing communication solutions (branding, messaging, marketing, design and typography).
- High attention to detail in design, typography, spacing, grammar, spelling and accuracy.
- Ability to create original illustrations and other design assets.
- Superior customer service and client relations skills.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment that requires high production, shifting priorities and achieving deadlines.
- Understanding of higher education marketing.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree in graphic design from an accredited college or university. Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud programs.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: 3-5 years of recent professional experience in marketing, graphic communications, digital/interactive design and project management, preferably in higher education.
APPOINTMENT DATE: May 7, 2018
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Deadline for applying April 24, 2018
BENEFITS: Competitive benefit package http://www.fhsu.edu/humanresourceoffice/Prospective-Employees/
- Manage and prioritize multiple projects, consistently meet deadlines, and champion projects from concept to completion within a fast-paced environment.
- Coordinate and effectively communicate with clients (academic departments, support service units, administrative offices and others) on marketing and design projects, including brochures, viewbooks, newsletters, reports and other print and digital materials.
- Serve as the art director and designer of ROAR, the university magazine published biannually.
- Drive creative strategy to meet goals and objectives and provide creative vision.
- Conceptualize and present innovative creative ideas to promote university initiatives.
- Support digital platforms, promotional materials, websites, email marketing, imaging, video and design in service of many different audiences.
- Create, maintain and implement a thorough and consistent visual style guide and overall aesthetic across channels.
- Articulate rationale, build consensus, manage challenges and present with enthusiasm.
- Maintain a high level of understanding of audience, messaging, business priorities and desired outcomes.
- Adapt to changing priorities and business needs.
- Manage student design staff.
- Work collaboratively with team members regarding approach and art direction to deliver strategic and emotionally compelling design.
- Provide a critical eye to the team's work, ensuring both high quality and alignment with strategic marketing goals.
- Maintain an open attitude to constructive feedback and refinement as part of the collaborative effort.
- Stay up-to-date with professional skills and current trends (via software and technology training, graphic design workshops, etc.).
- Seek inspiration beyond higher education with a vision for industry innovation, and share knowledge with colleagues regarding emerging trends in design, multimedia and branding.
APPLICATION PROCESS: To apply for this position, please visit https://fhsu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/CAREERS. Only electronic applications submitted through the webpage will be accepted.
REQUIRED APPLICATION DOCUMENTS: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for three professional references. Applicant documents should be submitted in one PDF.
Samples (up to 15 items, preferably higher education-focused) from design portfolio, such as brochure, viewbook, magazine and other materials – please include information in the application letter on how to access the portfolio digital files from either Google Drive or a website.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
ABOUT FORT HAYS STATE UNIVERSITY: Forward Thinking. World Ready - Fort Hays State University is a highly entrepreneurial teaching focused institution with major operations on-campus, online and in China. Providing a high-quality education at an affordable price, FHSU is ranked by the Chronicle of Higher Education as one of the top ten fastest growing universities in the U.S. It has an enrollment in excess of 14,000 students (Approximately 5,000 on campus, 3,500 in China, and over 6,000 online) and over 380 full time faculty. Bachelors, masters and professional doctoral degrees are offered through five colleges, the Graduate School, the Honors College, the Virtual College, and various international partnerships. Fort Hays State University's award-winning Virtual College coordinates distance education to the U.S. Armed Services and students in over 20 countries. The Virtual College has received many accolades, including U.S. News & World Report Online Programs rankings, GetEducated.com, Best Buys in Education, among others. Students at FHSU may select a major field of study from 30 departments. FHSU is fully accredited by several national agencies, and is one of six state-assisted institutions of higher education governed by a Board of Regents appointed by the governor of the state of Kansas. The website StateUniversity.com ranked the Fort Hays State campus as the safest in the state of Kansas.
The University has rich sports and cultural programming, all of which enjoy tremendous community support. The Beach/Schmidt Performing Arts Center is home to the Encore Series, which hosts many travelling Broadway shows, the Hays Symphony, university and other national and world-caliber performances. Fort Hays State University athletic events provide NCAA Division II athletic entertainment.
ABOUT HAYS, KS: FHSU is located in Hays, a vibrant university community of approximately 22,000, located half way between Kansas City and Denver on Interstate 70. Hays has received numerous recent accolades such as being voted an All-American City, second best city in the state to raise children, and also the third best small college town in America. It is the regional center for education, health care, professional services, shopping, culture, and recreation for the western half of Kansas – serving a population of nearly 400,000. Hays boasts excellent recreational facilities including the comprehensive Center for Health Improvement, Hays Aquatic Park, the Sternberg Museum of Natural History, Smoky Hill Country Club, Hays Municipal Golf Course, an extensive recreational program, and excellent opportunities for walking, running, and biking. Hays is within 45 minutes of two large lakes providing boating, fishing, and camping. The Hays Municipal Airport provides connecting service to Denver with several flights daily. The community has award-winning public and private schools. With over 60 restaurants, robust retail outlets, one of the lowest unemployment rates and commute times in the U.S., the city provides a safe, very friendly, low-cost, high-quality living environment.
Notice of Non-discrimination – Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position: Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org for further information on how this might affect you.