Ctr for Neuroscience Discovery - 304104
The Department of Pharmacology & Neuroscience, part of the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, is dedicated to quality biomedical research and graduate education. Department research and training activities are supported through multiple federal and non-federal grants, including program project grants, clinical trials, and an institutional pre-doctoral training grant in the neurobiology of aging. We offer both MS and PhD degrees in a wide range of research areas.
The Department of Pharmacology & Neuroscience at the University of North Texas Health Science Center is seeking to hire a Research Assistant to join our team.
This is primarily a research position requiring various types of laboratory work, including cell culture, measurement of intracellular signaling molecules, radioligand binding, survival assays, basic molecular biology and protein chemistry, animal handling and dosing and basic animal behavioral experiments, and other procedures as needed.
Responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to:
* Writing and modify experimental protocols, basic laboratory calculations, data entry, graphing and basic data analysis.
* Working with other team members.
* Compliance with safety and mission critical procedures.
* Ordering of laboratory supplies and equipment.
* Excellent English communication and record keeping skills.
* Be able and willing to follow instructions, learn new techniques as needed.
* Meet deadlines.
* Work in a collaborative team environment.
* Be coachable.
* Strong foundation in one or more of the following: pharmacology, cell biology, neuroscience.
* Experience with cell culture, in vitro measurement of second messengers (e.g., cAMP, calcium), ELISA, and basic molecular biology and protein chemistry techniques.
* Strong working knowledge of CP computers and software programs WORD, EXCEL, POWERPOINT.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess Bachelor's; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* BA or MS in a quantitative life science (excluding social sciences) such as chemistry, biology or bioengineering.
* Experience working in a non-clinical laboratory setting (this does not include laboratory course work for a degree program).
* Multiple years of prior laboratory benchwork experience and knowledge of laboratory machinery.
* Experience or strong working knowledge of cell culture, and radioligand binding, cell signaling, cell survival, and ELISA assays as well as basic molecular biology, protein chemistry, and microscopy techniques.
* Experience with handling of rodents and measurement of their behaviors as well as small animal surgical techniques.
* Experience with in vitro detection of oxidative and nitrosative stress markers including levels of nitric oxide, western blotting, and HPLC.
* Be willing to learn new methodologies, troubleshoot, assist others in the lab, and work flexible hours as needed.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume and a cover letter with their online application.
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Monday - Friday
Application Types Accepted
Occupational Exposure to HIV/HBV?
Occupational Exposure to Hazardous Chemicals?
Occupational Exposure to Tuberculosis?
Require a valid Texas Driver's License?
Require a certification?
Official Job Title
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled