Postdoctoral Research Associate
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Ctr for Neuroscience Discovery - 304104
The Department of Pharmacology & Neuroscience, part of the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, is dedicated to quality biomedical research and graduate education. Department research and training activities are supported through multiple federal and non-federal grants, including program project grants, clinical trials, and an institutional pre-doctoral training grant in the neurobiology of aging. We offer both MS and PhD degrees in a wide range of research areas.
The Pharmacology & Neuroscience Department at the University of North Texas Health Science Center is seeking to hire a Postdoctoral Research Associate to join our team. The applicant must be willing and able to work fast-paced, translational discovery and development research projects spanning multiple disciplines. This is primarily a research position requiring various types of laboratory work, including cell culture, measurement of intracellular signaling molecules, radioligand binding and cell survival assays, basic molecular biology and protein chemistry techniques, animal handling, dosing and behavioral experiments, and other procedures as needed.
Responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to:
* Modifying and improving existing and writing and developing new experimental protocols.
* Writing and preparation of manuscripts for peer-reviewed publication.
* Creating posters and/or oral presentations for scientific meetings.
* Laboratory calculations, entering, graphing and statistical analysis of data.
* Training and working collaboratively with other lab members as needed.
* Compliance with safety and mission critical procedures.
* Ordering of laboratory supplies and equipment, maintaining a laboratory notebook.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Strone foundation in one or more of the following: pharmacology, cell biology, neuroscience.
* Strong English reading, writing, speaking and comprehension skills.
* Strong organizational skills.
* Strong working knowledge of PC computers and software programs, WORD, EXCEL, POWERPOINT
* Extensive experience with cell culture, in vitro measurement of second messengers (e.g., cAMP, calcium) ELISA, molecular biology, protein chemistry, microscopy, and animal behavioral techniques.
* A record of achievement in research and a solid publication portfolio.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess the following required qualifications:
Appropriate doctoral degree. If the degree had not been conferred at the time applicant applied for a postdoc position, a letter needs to be attached from the school's official Graduate Office and/or Registrar's Office certifying that all requirements for the degree have been met and stating the degree conferral date.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* PhD, DSc, or equivalent research degree in a quantitative life science (excluding social sciences) such as chemistry, biology or bioengineering.
* Extensive experience working in a non-clinical laboratory setting (this does not include laboratory course work for a degree program).
* Several years of prior laboratory benchwork experience and knowledge of laboratory machinery.
* Experience or strong working knowledge of cell culture, and radioligand binding, cell signaling, cell survival, and ELISA assays as well as basic molecular biology, protein chemistry, spectroscopy, microscopy and animal behavioral and surgical techniques.
* Prefer experience with in vitro detection of oxidative and nitrosative stress markers including levels of nitric oxide, western blotting, and HPLC.
* Applicant willing to learn new methodologies, effectively troubleshoot, train and assist others in the lab, and work flexible hours as needed.
* Meeting deadlines is essential as is a strong desire and ability to write and publish peer-reviewed research publications.
* A background in chemistry or biochemistry is preferred.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter and CV with their online application.
Salary commensurate with experience
Application Types Accepted
Occupational Exposure to HIV/HBV?
Occupational Exposure to Hazardous Chemicals?
Occupational Exposure to Tuberculosis?
Require a valid Texas Driver's License?
Require a certification?
Official Job Title
Postdoctoral Research Assoc.
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled