Assistant Professor of Mass Communication -- Integrated Marketing Communication
The Department of Mass Communication is looking for a talented colleague with expertise in Integrated Marketing Communication (IMC) to help us innovate and educate the next generation of communication professionals. We are ACEJMC accredited and offer professionally focused undergraduate programs in Integrated Marketing Communication and Mass Communication. We also participate in an interdisciplinary Digital Information Design major and offer minors in Communication Studies and Film & Content Production.
- Teach introductory and advanced undergraduate courses in public relations, advertising, and integrated marketing communication. Ability to teach digital storytelling & production, social media promotions, and digital analytics for marketing communication is highly desirable.
- Promote undergraduate research & participate in student e-portfolio and career development.
- Supervise integrated marketing communication internships.
- Undertake research in the discipline and/or execute peer-reviewed creative activity resulting in a reputation in the candidate’s area of expertise.
- Participate in departmental, college, and university service, including student advising.
- Participate in faculty-led and other study abroad activities.
- Engage in appropriate outreach to professional communication associations.
Employment Conditions: A nine-month, full-time tenure track appointment with faculty rank. Salary is competitive and dependent on academic qualifications.
Work Environment: This position requires daily contact with students, faculty, and staff on campus. Additionally, the successful candidate will be required to have the ability to work with the outside community, other universities, and international schools/companies/partners.
Position Availability: August 16, 2018
About Winthrop University
Founded in 1886 and located in Rock Hill, South Carolina, Winthrop University offers its 6,000-plus undergraduate and graduate students an educational experience that blends liberal arts, professional programs, global awareness, and civic engagement. In its degree-granting Colleges of Arts and Sciences, Business Administration, Education, and Visual and Performing Arts, Winthrop embraces only those programs and activities that can be delivered at an exemplary level. Winthrop is well known for its inclusive and supportive campus environment, with University College supporting programs in both academic and student affairs. Winthrop University is achieving national stature as a competitive and distinctive co-educational, public, residential, comprehensive, values-oriented institution. The values of service, excellence, diversity, community, and leadership provide the foundation for the University’s continuing development and shape Winthrop’s continuing success. Numerous national accolades reflect the sustained high quality and value of the Winthrop Experience, including the most recent U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Winthrop as one of the top-10 public comprehensive universities in the South. Winthrop is an active member of the Rock Hill community and is recognized as a key component of the region’s economic resurgence. Approximately 20 minutes from Charlotte, North Carolina, Winthrop has direct access to and is engaged in a broad and expansive regional arts and business community. Winthrop’s beautiful campus encompasses a rich architectural blend of neo-Georgian buildings and is included in the National Register of Historic Places. The attractive recreational and research complex area that surrounds Winthrop Lake is home to Winthrop’s 18 Division I men’s and women’s sports.
Winthrop University is committed to providing a safe campus community. Winthrop conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.
- Earned doctorate in mass communication, communication, or a related area with emphasis in integrated marketing communication, public relations, or advertising. ABDs who meet the position qualifications will be considered for initial appointment at the instructor rank and expected to complete the doctorate within a year.
- Professional experience in integrated marketing communication. particularly public relations and advertising.
- Evidence of successful teaching, scholarship, and service.
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness & related scholarship/research.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a commitment to collaborative engagement within the department and university, and to building connections with area professionals, businesses, and alumni.
Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
Applications should be submitted via Interfolio and consist of:
- Letter of application including the candidate’s interest in the position, qualifications for the position, teaching philosophy, scholarly research agenda, and service goals
- Current curriculum vitae
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness including latest teaching evaluations
- Scholarship/production samples
- Names, addresses, e-mails and phone numbers for three professional references
- Terminal degree transcript
Questions may be directed to Department Chair Dr. Guy Reel at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 803.323.4531.