Tenure-Track Assistant Professor - Computer Science (Multiple Positions)
Job no: 492558
Position Type: Faculty Full Time
Benefit Status: Benefited-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: Computer Science
Salary: Salary commensurate with experience
Applications Open: Aug 25 2017
Applications Close: Open until filled
General Summary of Position:
The Computer Science Department at the University of Massachusetts Lowell invites applications for four tenure-track, assistant professor faculty positions to start in September 2018 (an earlier starting date might be considered).
The University of Massachusetts Lowell, located about 25 miles northwest of Boston in the high-tech corridor of Massachusetts, is a tier-1 public research university. It has a national reputation in science, engineering, and technology. UMass Lowell is committed to educating students for lifelong success in a diverse world, and to conducting research and outreach activities that sustain the economic, environmental, and social health of the region. In February of 2009, a campus-wide strategic planning initiative was launched to reposition UMass Lowell as a world-class institution over the next decade. A major component of that initiative is to ensure that diversity and inclusion is in every aspect of our strategic plan. We seek a diverse talented candidate pool to be part of our mission and achievements.
The Department of Computer Science currently has 16 tenured and tenure- track faculty members, 3 full-time lecturers, and a few adjunct instructors serving over 700 BS students, 161 MS students, and 94 PhD students. It also offers an MS and a BS in Information Technology online with over 100 students and over 1200 students, respectively (BS-IT and MS-IT courses are taught by a separate faculty body). It offers bioinformatics options at all levels, a robotics minor, a data science option, and a PhD in computational mathematics. The Department is looking to fill a number of tenure-track/tenured positions in the next few years.
The Computer Science faculty has received approximately $10M in the last two years in external research funding from the NSF, DARPA, DOD, DHE, NIH, and corporations. The Department has 6 NSF CAREERAward recipients. More information about the Department can be found at www.cs.uml.edu.
Women and underrepresented minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- PhD in computer science or a closely related discipline
- Applicants must be committed to developing and sustaining externally-funded research programs
- Applicants must demonstrate strong potential to establish and maintain substantial research, teaching, and service, including the ability to publish refereed publications, obtain competitive external grants, and supervise undergraduate and postgraduate students
- Successful applicants will develop a strong network of collaborations with established national and international researchers, leading to significant impact in computer science and related fields
- The ability to work effectively with diverse groups
- Preference will be given to outstanding candidates in any of the areas of Computer Vision, Cybersecurity, Data Science, Machine Learning, and/or Robotics
- Outstanding candidates in other major computer science areas will also be considered, and are thus encouraged to apply
- In addition to developing a strong research program, a successful candidate will be expected to teach undergraduate and graduate courses, including department core and specialty areas based on the candidate's expertise
In addition to the broad range of research interests within the Computer Science Department, UMass Lowell has a diverse group of science and engineering faculty who use novel computer science techniques to enhance their research (e.g., physics, engineering, health, and other areas) including anticipated hires in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering. Therefore, candidates interested in establishing collaborations with faculty in these fields are encouraged to apply.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close once an adequate number of qualified applications are received. Applications received by December 15, 2017 will receive full consideration.
Please submit a CV, cover letter, teaching statement, research publications, research statement. *Names and email addresses of three reference will also be required during the application process. The references will be notified and should upload recommendation letters. Only recommendation letters that are uploaded to the system by the referee will be accepted. Emailed or hardcopy letters will not be accepted.
Submission of teaching evaluations is optional.
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.