Digital and engagement editor, Future Earth
Future Earth is seeking a strategic and creative individual to build our online brand and community, overseeing our web presence through social media channels and two websites: Future Earth's main website and the website of our award-winning digital and print magazine Anthropocene. The digital and engagement editor will take the lead in interacting with and amplifying the voices of Future Earth's global community of researchers and innovators in policy, business and non-governmental organizations - all working to generate new knowledge for sustainability.
The person stepping into this role will take an entrepreneurial approach to our digital expansion, setting targets for growing followers and building readership for both Future Earth and Anthropocene magazine. The editor will be someone who lives and breathes social media and who enjoys developing fun and creative content for the web and social media.
Location: The Colorado Global Hub of Future Earth is a collaborative project between the University of Colorado and Colorado State University. The Future Earth Communications Coordinator will be based at the University of Colorado, in Boulder, where Future Earth staff are hosted by the Sustainability Innovation Lab (SILC) within the Sustainability, Energy, and Environment Complex (SEEC).
The Future Earth Initiative
Future Earth is the international platform for research, innovation, and collaboration working to accelerate transformations to a sustainable world. With offices all over the world, we harness the experience and reach of thousands of scientists and innovators from across the globe. Future Earth is served by a globally-distributed Secretariat that uniquely encompasses five Global Hubs (in Colorado, Montreal, Paris, Stockholm and Tokyo) connected through a dynamic, networked structure. This global coverage brings together diverse perspectives and cultures with the goal of solving the most pressing challenges facing the planet and its people.
Anthropocene magazine (50%):
- Craft overall social media strategy and manage the magazine's social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, other), prioritizing engaging new audiences and bringing in paid subscribers;
- Develop and track online ads through Google, Facebook and other channels;
- Assist in the design and maintenance of the magazine's website (WordPress);
- Design, implement and track a promotion plan for magazine with the goal of building readership and paid subscribers.
Future Earth (50%):
- Post regular updates to the website (Drupal), including news, blogs and other content;
- Design website content to meet high standards for professionalism and perform copy editing on text;
- Play a major role in leading the development of a new Future Earth website (WordPress).
- Design and carry out social media campaigns around key events and priorities for Future Earth and track their results;
- Develop and implement a social media strategy for Future Earth, encompassing building a consistent voice and branding and integrating innovative tools for expanding engagement with target audiences.
- Support communications and advancement efforts within the Colorado Hub of Future Earth.
Education and experience
- Bachelor's degree required;
- 3-5 years' experience in social media/communities and proven experience in leading the social media presence for a complex organization;
- Experience in social media management and tracking tools;
- Proven capacity in designing and carrying out social media strategies and campaigns;
- Experience in website design using WordPress and Drupal;
- Excellent writing and copy editing skills;
- Experience in MailChimp or a similar email marketing platform;
- Experience in the Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Premiere) and strong skills in graphic design preferred;
- Experience shooting and editing photographs and video preferred;
- Passion for environmental and sustainability science and policy a must.
Salary and Application Details
The salary will be dependent on the experience and qualifications of the candidate. Applicants are requested to address the above description and qualifications in a cover letter and attach a curriculum vitae with the name and contact details of three references.
more information on Future Earth, please visit http://www.futureearth.org/
Special Instructions to Applicants:The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To achieve this goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for considered foe employment, Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and an EPLS (Excluded Parties List Systems) check. The immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work.
The University of Colorado is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to foster an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity; the University of Colorado does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation or political philosophy in the programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. Inquiries may be directed the Boulder Campus Title IX Coordinator by calling 303-492-2127.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Applicants must complete the Faculty/University Staff and EEO Data (application) form, and upload the following required documents: 1 - Cover Letter; 2 - Curriculum Vitea; 3 - The document uploaded for Proof of Degree can be a Transcript which shows the date the degree was conferred; Copy of Diploma; or official letter from the Registrar or the Dean of the School or College conferring the degree; and 4 - Letter of Recommendation. This position is eligible for medical, dental and life insurance, retirement benefits programs, and is eligible for monthly vacation and sick leave accruals.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 11061 - SILC
Posting Date: Mar 23, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Lakshmi Muralidharan
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00721613