Health Privacy Specialist (USP 2)
Job Title: Health Privacy Specialist (USP 2)
Job ID: 2018463
Location: Storrs Campus
The University of Connecticut's Office of Privacy Protection and Management seeks applications for two full-time Health Privacy Specialists (University Staff Professional 2). Under the direction of the Associate Vice President/Chief Privacy Officer, the successful incumbents will be primarily responsible for assisting with the implementation of the healthcare-related portions of the University of Connecticut's comprehensive privacy program in the Office of Privacy Protection & Management, including but not limited to privacy incident investigations and breach determination reviews, reporting, monitoring, education, outreach and privacy awareness improvement efforts.
The Health Privacy Specialist will predominantly focus on health-related privacy matters, but may participate in general and education-related privacy matters as assigned.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBIILTIES
- Conducts intake of privacy-related concerns for the Office of Privacy Protection & Management
- Conducts investigations into privacy-related incidents and actual/potential data breaches with minimal oversight in accordance with processes established by the Associate Vice President/Chief Privacy Officer
- Works with all levels of staff, clinicians and administration to conduct privacy reviews, assessments and investigations
- Maintains appropriate documentation related to privacy investigations
- Drafts investigation reports and summaries
- Assists with breach assessments and determinations
- Assists with breach reporting requirements as appropriate
- Assists with conducting privacy-related risk assessments and privacy impact assessments, and with the review of compliance strengths and vulnerabilities shown by such assessments
- Conducts reactive privacy-related monitoring, reviews and audits of University health-related processes and systems in response to complaints or concerns
- Conducts proactive privacy-related monitoring, reviews and audits of University health-related processes and systems with minimal oversight to help assess and ensure compliance with privacy regulations and University policies
- Assists with the review, update and/or creation of privacy and information management language in University policies, forms, notices and contracts as assigned
- Tracks and keeps apprised of changes in, and updates to, relevant federal, state and international laws and regulations and evolving technologies
- Assist with the development and implementation of privacy-related monitoring plans and activities
- Assists with the tracking, review and reporting of monitoring outcomes and trends and participates in the analysis and use of this information to update policies, procedures, training and outreach to improve privacy practices
- Assist with the development and delivery of privacy-related training, awareness and outreach
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree
- Three (3) years' experience working in a healthcare provider privacy, compliance or similar office environment
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with information privacy laws and regulations, particularly those related to healthcare
- Experience conducting privacy and/or information security investigations
- Experience conducting privacy monitoring in a healthcare environment
- Demonstrated experience working in highly confidential environment
- Ability to multitask and manage competing priorities comfortably
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal direction
- Demonstrated ability to work creatively with limited resources
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent written and oral communication, interpersonal and customer service skills
- Advanced Degree in a related field
- Five (5) or more years' experience working in a healthcare provider-based privacy, compliance or similar office environment
- Holds at least one relevant privacy certification (e.g., CIPP, CIPM, CHPC, CHPS)
- Experience with, and knowledge of, Epic and other similar HIM systems
- Experience working in an academic medical center environment
This is a full-time, permanent position. The University offers a competitive salary and outstanding benefits.
Upload a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three (3) professional references via the UConn Jobs at http://www.jobs.uconn.edu. Employment of the successful candidate will be contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search #2018463)
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on April 6, 2018.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University's teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn's ranking as one of the nation's top research universities. UConn's faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.