Assistant Director, Alumni Engagement - North East
University Advancement includes all William & Mary efforts related to alumni engagement, marketing and advancement communications, private fundraising and philanthropic outreach.
The team’s overarching goal is to create a lasting, robust culture of engagement and philanthropy by engaging students, alumni, parents and friends, corporations and foundations, and faculty and staff.
University Advancement strives to champion lifelong relationships among all constituents with the university. William & Mary’s ability to flourish and advance as a world-class university depends largely upon the active support of these key stakeholders. We believe that a diverse workforce is a smart workforce and that diversity accelerates innovation.
The Assistant Director of Alumni Engagement, Northeast focuses primarily on engaging alumni in the northeast, from Philadelphia to New England and strengthens the lifelong ties our alumni have to alma mater.
The Assistant Director reports directly to the Associate Director of Alumni Engagement with secondary reporting to the Managing Director, Regional Advancement for the northeast. The Assistant Director supports two internal teams within university advancement, the Alumni Engagement team and the Regional and International Advancement team; works with colleagues both on campus in Williamsburg and within the northeast US; and is expected to work in the NY Metro office in midtown Manhattan.
Core areas and responsibilities include:
ALUMNI ENGAGEMENT & PROGRAM MANAGEMENT:
- Generates ideas to create content for regional and campus communications, social media and marketing and will communicate with alumni through emails and newsletters.
- Designs, develops, and manages alumni engagement opportunities and programming to engage, cultivate, and educate alumni, parents, friends and students on personal, professional and intellectual levels to encourage their increasing support to William & Mary.
- Manages all regional engagement opportunities and programming evites and newsletters via email.
- Enhances and fosters deeper partnerships, engagement opportunities and programming with campus departments including, but not limited to the Mason School of Business, the School of Education, the Law School, VIMS, Arts and Sciences, Student Affairs, Swem Library, Muscarelle Museum of Art, Tribe Athletics, and others.
- Communicates, collaborates, and coordinates with the Regional & International Advancement team as well as various constituent offices and departments throughout campus to provide pre-planning and onsite management of assigned engagement opportunities and programming.
- Regularly analyzes programming and makes recommendations for program refinement and is responsible for reporting, assessment and ROI for alumni engagement events and programs.
PORTFOLIO &VOLUNTEER MANAGEMENT
The assistant director assists in the identification, cultivation and recruitment of alumni volunteers to significantly increase alumni engagement that serves the essential needs of William & Mary and the desires of alumni, including admissions, career, class and affinity groups.
- Provides chapter support and volunteer training for alumni chapters in the northeast, ; monitors the creation and execution of annual reporting activity, strategic plans and budgeting for northeast chapters; and attends chapter board meetings and acts as a representative on various chapter boards.
- Interviews alumni in their portfolio to create content for regional and campus communications, social media and marketing.
- Solicits each individual within the assigned portfolio for a financial gift to William & Mary each and every year.
RESEARCH & ASSESSMENT
- Contributes to research and data analytics on alumni donor prospects to guide effective engagement opportunities and programming; may research current industry trends and new engagement opportunities and programming ideas to identify best practices and enhancement opportunities in order to improve current engagement opportunities, programming and cultivation programs at the university.
- Assists with survey, metrics and bench-marking logistics for engagement opportunities and programming.
- Distributes surveys, compiles results, and manages follow-up, to analyze the effectiveness and progress of regional programs.
Bachelor’s degree with substantive experience or specialized expertise directly related to the position.
- Familiarity with the William & Mary campus, departments and administration.
- Knowledge of programming and event coordination, and the ability to develop alumni engagement opportunities and / or special events.
- Working knowledge of fundraising principles.
- Strong knowledge of volunteer management with the proven ability to manage and train volunteers.
- Demonstrated creativity with the ability to develop goals and strategies for alumni and coordinate effective alumni engagement opportunities.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the proven ability to work effectively with a diverse constituency and collaboratively with colleagues from across the institution, while exercising discretion and diplomacy in all interactions.
- Excellent skills in cultivating relationships with the ability to understand and tend to the needs of alumni body, enthusiastically, promptly and effectively.
- Demonstrated collaborative approach with the proven ability to cultivate communication and foster team work with a diverse audience including alumni, donors, faculty, staff, parents, students and the William & Mary community.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to compile and analyze data and produce metrics.
- Strong problem solving skills, with the ability to exercise sound judgment when making decisions or recommendations especially in high pressure situations. Careful attention to detail with a high level of accuracy. Well organized, creative, and able to “think outside the box.”
- Strong project coordination and organizational skill with the ability to balance competing priorities and complex situations within tight deadlines.
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency with Microsoft Office products, specifically MS outlook, Word, and Excel. Other software proficiency in databases and web-based applications.
- A high level of independence, with the ability to work effectively and successfully off campus with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated experience in alumni relations, fundraising, volunteer management or related field.
- Experience in event planning or coordination.
- Extensive knowledge of the campus, mission and traditions of William & Mary.
- Proficiency in customer relationship management (CRM) systems.
- Strong personal connection to William & Mary campus and traditions.
- Experience as a student leader demonstrated through participation in campus activities (e.g. student organizations, athletics, Greek life, admissions, orientation, residence life, advancement, etc.).
- Demonstrated professional experience in volunteer management and program development.
- Experience in data research, program analysis and producing metrics.
- Experience with Advance or other customer relationship management (CRM), donor database, and/or registration software.
- Demonstrated experience in fundraising or volunteer management or closely related field within Higher Education.
The College of William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.