Director, Math and Science Learning Center
The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (LAS) at the University of Illinois at Chicago is seeking a Director for its new Math and Science Learning Center who will provide visionary leadership, planning, and day-to-day administrative oversight of the center and who will oversee the academic support services to undergraduate students from across campus.
Working in close collaboration with subject matter experts for the areas supported by the center, the Director is expected to facilitate the merger of the existing learning centers and to develop, manage, and evaluate a comprehensive program of academic support services and programming for undergraduate students, including tutoring by undergraduates and graduate students as well as peer instruction (supplemental instruction). The Director will work collaboratively with faculty and staff from the departments of Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Earth and Environmental Sciences, Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science, and Physics whose courses are being supported by the center.
· Provide administrative direction of the center including developing, planning, goal setting, implementation, evaluation and accountability for comprehensive academic support services programming.
· Provide direction to tutoring and academic support staff and tutors in planning and organizing tutoring, peer instruction, and other student learning and academic support services.
· Develop and manage budgets in regards to staffing, facilities, equipment and supplies necessary to achieve UIC’s mission of student support and success.
· Collaborate with other units offering tutoring support to develop transparent outreach to student and consistent training.
· Coordinate, monitor/track and analyze data and prepare reports, including annual program evaluation updates and suggestions for improvement. Participate in proposal preparations aimed at obtaining additional support for the center.
· In collaboration with subject area experts, oversee the recruitment, hiring, training, supervision, and evaluation of graduate assistants, tutors and peer leaders.
· Regularly facilitate discussions with departments and faculty whose classes receive tutoring support with the departments whose students are served by the center to develop and review tutoring services and objectives.
· Develop and oversee the center’s outreach activities, both to faculty and students.
· Requires a PhD in a STEM, or related, field.
· Must demonstrate subject area expertise in at least one of the areas served by the Center.
· Candidate must have 3-5 years progressive experience organizing, directing and working in academic support services program at the higher education level.
· Knowledgeable in factors of retention and challenges facing first-year undergraduate college students.
· Demonstrate knowledge of innovative tutoring options, such as Supplemental Instruction and early alert programs.
· Demonstrate experience working with diverse populations.
· Demonstrate strong budget management experience; leadership and supervisory experience.
· Demonstrated proficiency in data collection and evaluation.
For fullest consideration submit complete application materials by April 12, 2018 by completing an on-line application including the names and email addresses of three references and uploading a resume and cover letter at https://jobs.uic.edu. Click on the job board and then the job.
The University of Illinois at Chicago is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse pluralistic faculty and staff committed to teaching in a multicultural environment. We strongly encourage applications from women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and covered veterans The University of Illinois may conduct background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.