University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics - Section of Development Biology
Associate Professor/Professor (Open Rank)
Position #  - Requisition # 
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
The Department of Pediatrics Section of Developmental Biology, has an opening for a full-time Associate Professor/Professor position. The individual hired will work in the area of cardiovascular development and regeneration. Areas of particular research interest include 1) cardiac cell diversity, 2) cardiovascular cell lineages and embryonic origins, 3) gene regulatory networks and systems biology, 4) cardiac cell regeneration and reprogramming, 5) cardiovascular matrix biology and 6) developmental models of cardiac biology.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Construct and manage a successful, extramurally-funded research program in cardiovascular development
- Train and mentor graduate students and fellows
- Contribute to collaborative, multi-disciplinary research programs engaging investigators on the Anschutz Medical Campus
- Contribute to an intellectual environment fostering excellence in basic research within the Sections of Developmental Biology and Cardiology
- Publish high quality scholarly papers and provide research presentations on relevant subject areas/areas of expertise
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with experience, qualifications, and equity. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- Ph.D. or M.D./PhD. in Developmental Biology, Cardiovascular Development, Cardiac Regeneration, or other related field
- Must currently be at the rank of Assistant, Associate, or Professor and possess the experience to hired at the rank of Associate Professor or Professor in accordance with School of Medicine and Department of Pediatrics policies
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: cardiac cell diversity, cardiovascular cell lineages and embryonic origins, gene regulatory networks and systems biology, cardiac cell regeneration and reprogramming, cardiovascular matrix biology and developmental models of cardiac biology
Condition of Employment:
- Must be willing and able to pass a national criminal background check
- Must be able to successfully meet the requirements for a faculty appointment at the Associate or Professor level
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong commitment to graduate and medical education
- Ability to construct, coordinate, and mange extramurally funded research program
- Knowledge and expertise in at least one of the following areas: cardiac cell diversity, cardiovascular cell lineages and embryonic origins, gene regulatory networks and systems biology, cardiac cell regeneration and reprogramming, cardiovascular matrix biology and developmental models of cardiac biology
- Aptitude to design and execute quality and cutting edge research
- Ability to foster faculty career development through mentoring/co-mentoring
- Strong interpersonal communication skills including both written and verbal
- Ability to work collaboratively within a multidisciplinary group to expand methodologically sophisticated research
- Established track record of creative and cutting-edge research
- Demonstrable publication accomplishments
- Strong record of independent and external funding in cardiovascular development or cardiac regeneration
- Successful record of trainee mentorship
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: When applying at www.cu.edu/cu-careers, applicants must include: 1. A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV 3. Summary of research accomplishments (as additonal attachment) 4. Description of future research directions (as additonal attachment) Questions should be directed to Dr. Bruce Appel, Head of the Section of Developmental Biology and Search Committee Chair via email at email@example.com
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Additional Attachments - Refer to Application Materials Instructions Below
Application Materials Instructions:Application Materials Instructions APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21300 - SOM-PEDS Devl Biology-GenOp
Posting Date: Mar 22, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Bruce Appel
Posting Contact Email: Bruce.firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00744545