University of Colorado - School of Medicine
The University of Colorado School of Medicine-Department of Radiation Oncology is recruiting for a full time Nurse Practitioner. The Department is an integral part of a multi-disciplinary team of clinical care providers and researchers who provide curative and palliative treatment to patients with both malignant and benign diseases. Our Department utilizes ionizing radiation to deliver either external beam radiation or radioisotopes with the goal of destroying or inhibiting cell growth. The position is directly supervised by radiation oncologists who are directly involved in the management of these patients.
Examples of specific work performed in this role include:
- Outpatient based management of patients undergoing radiation treatment.
- Intermittent inpatient management or follow up of patients actively being treated and/or admitted from side effects of treatment.
- Patient education about the process of radiation care and side effects.
- Management of side effects related to treatment.
- Assessment of nutritional, psychosocial and palliative needs.
- Assisting with patient care if enrolled in clinical trials
- Participation in weekly chart rounds and possibly multi-disciplinary clinics.
- Certified Nurse Practitioners (NP) are certified advanced practice nurses who provide primary health care and specialized health services to individuals, families, groups, and communities. First time appointees must complete the application process to receive authorization to provide services as an Allied Health Professional.
- Current Colorado license as a Registered Nurse, including registration in the advanced practice nurse registry.
- Graduation from a master's program in nursing accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) or the National League for Nursing (NLN).
- Completion of a formal postgraduate nurse practitioner track or program in the applicant's specialty within a school of nursing granting graduate level academic credit. Evidence of successful completion will either be a certificate or a letter from the program director.
- Eligibility or successful completion of the national certification examination administered by a nationally recognized credentialing organization in the appropriate specialty, and maintenance of current certification. If a certification examination does not exist for the practitioner's specialty, certification in a like specialty approved by the Allied Health Credentials Subcommittee must be obtained within one appointment cycle. New graduates must pass a certification examination within sixty (60) days of graduation.
- Compliance with the requirements under the Colorado Nurse Practice Act.
- Current certification in basic life support (BLS) and, if required by the hiring department, ACLS or other advanced certification.
- The Articulated Plan and Attestation Statement must be provided to the Medical Staff Office at the time of appointment if the practitioner has full prescriptive authority. For new graduates or individuals in the process of completing the required hours for full prescriptive authority, the Articulated Plan and Attestation Statement and proof of prescriptive authority must be submitted to the Medical Staff Office within thirty (30) days of obtaining prescriptive authority.
- Evidence of current competency to perform requested specified services.
- Documentation of prescriptive authority granted by the Colorado Board of Nursing. Nurse Practitioners who have not been granted prescriptive authority by the Colorado Board of Nursing must obtain prescriptive authority within two (2) appointment cycles for full-time clinical FTE and within three (3) appointment cycles for part-time clinical FTE.
- A DEA license is required to prescribe any medications. Medications cannot be prescribed in the electronic health record until the DEA license is obtained.
Required Competencies/Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent communication skills to interact with multiple medical disciplines
- Excellent bedside manner and physical exam skills
- General Internal Medicine knowledge base and advanced heart failure disease-related specialized knowledge.
- MCS related specialized knowledge
- 3-5 years of experience in the clinical management of oncology patients
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 12970
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20290 - SOM-Radiation Oncology
Posting Date: Mar 22, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: John Sohrweid
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00744529