Cognos Financial Report Writer
The Office of University Controller (OUC) manages the university's system of record - the Financial System - and its interfaces with purchasing, accounts payable, travel expense, human capital management, financial reporting and other subsystems. The office works closely with the campus controllers, the state controller and the state auditor's office to ensure that fiscal practices comply with external/internal rules and regulations and generally accepted accounting principles; prepares the university's tax filings; manages payroll/benefit accounting functions; and oversees the certification of effort reporting on sponsored research. The office communicates fiscal policies and procedures to the university community through blogs, website and training programs, and provides one-on-one assistance through the Finance and Procurement Help Desk. The OUC also administers a continuing professional education program and the CU Innovation and Efficiency Awards employee recognition program.
The Cognos Financial Report Writer develops, implements, communicates, and monitors the University-wide Reporting System (CU-Data/COGNOS Business Intelligence). This position is responsible for maintaining the accuracy and integrity of data obtained from related University systems - e.g., PeopleSoft Finance, PeopleSoft HCM, and the Concur Travel & Expense System - that feed into the Reporting System. The Cognos Financial Report Writer assists the Manager of Reporting Systems with developing and maintaining financial reports in Cognos, CU's business intelligence tool. This includes tasks related to the successful deployment of reports including documenting, testing and monitoring, as well as participating in the development of communication and training. The nature and responsibilities of the position require extensive coordination with the campus controllers' offices, University Information Systems, and other CU units. This position reports to the Manager of Reporting Systems in the Office of University Controller (OUC) and is exempt from the State of Colorado Classified Staff system.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties and Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Tunes and refactors existing Cognos financial reports for improved performance both in the application layer and the database/sql layer.
- Documents, develops, and tests financial reports, ensuring specifications are compliant with style and performance standards, and mathematical accuracy.
- Designs, implements and monitors automated daily testing of performance and accuracy of production on-demand financial reports.
- Assists with project management through interactions with the University Information Systems and user involvement and education.
- Upgrades reporting system content when moving to new software versions (eg. Cognos 10 to Cognos 11).
- Advises organizational and support units to resolve financial reporting issues.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
To be successful in this position, candidates will need the following:
- Ability to self-motivate and accomplish tasks with minimal oversight.
- Extensive experience and knowledge in systems data and interpretation.
- Ability to use creativity to problem-solve and diagnose issues with a willingness to figure out solutions.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, must be adept at managing multiple competing projects/priorities, and must perform well as a collaborative member in a tightly knit team.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical concepts with both business users and technical staff.
Who we are: System Administration, which also houses the Office of the President, is located in the uptown neighborhood of Denver with an office in Broomfield and a few smaller offices located on the campuses. This position is located in Denver. Many of our departments support the educational and research missions of the four University of Colorado campuses. We provide diverse opportunities for professional development, innovation, and collaboration with talented staff and faculty.
What we offer:
Salary: The salary has been established at $85,000-$90,000.
Benefits: The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Disability, Vision, Life and Wellness
- Retirement: 10% Employer Match
- Paid Time Off
- Tuition Benefit
- ECO Pass
For more information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/.
- A Bachelor's degree in a business finance-related or information technology field from an accredited college or university or equivalent experience (experience may substitute for the educational requirement on a year for year basis).
- Four (4) years of experience with financial system processes, data structures, and general business systems.
- One (1) year of experience with Cognos report development.
- CPA or Masters degree.
- Experience developing Oracle SQL for speed, accuracy, and clarity.
- Experience with Cognos SDK (Software Developers Kit).
- Experience tuning Cognos application installations.
- Experience with Data warehouse design and ETL development.
- Experience with advanced MSExcel functions and advanced MSAccess data management functions.
- Experience with PeopleSoft applications.
Special Instructions to Applicants:The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires a verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
You must attach a cover letter, resume, and references to your application as three separate documents. Please identify the job specific minimum qualifications you possess in your cover letter. Also, ensure you check the "Job Specific Attachments" box next to each document on the "Required Documents" page of the application for the appropriate documents to be attached.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:For full consideration completed applications must be submitted by April 5, 2018. Reference checking is a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including email addresses, for up to five references as part of the search process for this position. *Please note: All application materials must be submitted through CU Careers; emailed materials will not be considered.*
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Denver
Department: S0001 -- System Administration - 50027 - University Controller
Posting Date: Mar 22, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Kris Truesdale
Posting Contact Email: Kris.Truesdale@cu.edu
Position Number: 00676935