Montclair State is New Jersey's second largest university. It offers the advantages of a large university - a broad undergraduate curriculum with a global focus, a wide variety of superior graduate programs through the doctoral level, and a diverse faculty and student body - combined with a small college's attention to students.
Posting Date March 22, 2018
Position Title Academic Advisor
Vacancy # V-1454
Department Academic Affairs
Division Academic Affairs
Reporting to the Associate Dean for Academic Planning and Enrollment of University College, an Academic Advisor is a member of the founding team of professionals charged with realizing the mission of a new College which will be the formal academic home for approximately 2,500 students who are not yet matriculated into a major in one of the University's other colleges or schools. In undertaking this responsibility, Academic Advisors will assist in the development, coordination, implementation, and assessment of a variety of activities designed to assist University College students in their transition to University life and their preparation for, and selection of, a major appropriate to their abilities and interests.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Direct academic advisement of individual students and participation, with other University College Academic Advisors and in collaboration with others throughout the University, in the development and implementation of group advising, academic discovery programs, and a wide range of activities that enhance student retention and enrollment in appropriate course-work, selection and preparation for a major and the making of a smooth transition from University College to the college of their major, and the achievement of academic progress that will contribute to the timely completion of a degree; and
- Referral of students to appropriate tutorial and academic support services and to key non-academic University services, such as financial aid and health services, and follow-up and advocacy assistance for students in regard to these services.
Qualifications & Requirements
- A master's degree;
- Knowledge about issues related to undergraduate student success, and demonstrated capacity and commitment to maintaining currency in emerging theory, practice, and innovations in the field;
- Several years' experience in academic and/or student development work in a large university with a highly diverse student population;
- Knowledge and facility with software applications that support student advising, the tracking of student progress, and the assessment of services for students, or the aptitude and strong interest to learn to use such technology;
- Demonstrated commitment to student success;
- Ability to work as a constructive member of a professional team and a strong appreciation of the value of collaboration;
- Excellent communication skills; and
- The energy and enthusiasm to participate with others in the creation of a new College.
Commensurate with experience.
Anticipated Start Date Open until position is filled.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
*When creating your profile, you will need to combine your resume and cover letter into one single document (PDF or MS Word).*
Apply By Review will begin immediately and continues until position is filled.
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION