Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education and Dean of University College
Posting Date March 22, 2018
Position Title Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education and Dean of University College
Vacancy # V-1450
Department Academic Affairs
Division Academic Affairs
The Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education and Dean of University College has broad responsibility for the development and implementation of policies and practices that assure the University's delivery of high quality undergraduate education and students' successful and timely completion of degrees. As part of this important and very central role, the Associate Provost will also serve as the founding Dean of University College, a new unit of the University that will be the formal academic home for approximately 2,500 students who are not yet matriculated into a major in one of the University's other colleges or schools. The Associate Provost and Dean reports to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs and collaborates closely with college and school deans and directors, academic department chairs, the Division of Student Development and Campus Life, and other colleagues.
The Associate Provost and Dean is responsible for the creation and implementation of those policies and initiatives that contribute to: the successful acclimation of undergraduate students to University study; assuring the coherence and integrity of programs of study; smooth transitions by students into major programs of study that are aligned with their abilities and their interests; the creation of a vibrant undergraduate academic environment; highly effective academic advising; the development of successful innovations in instructional methodologies; and the creation of an environment that enables students to take full advantage of the resources of the University.
Qualifications & Requirements
Candidates for the position should have extensive and successful experience in higher education, including leadership experience in a large university with a highly diverse student population. Candidates should have professional accomplishments and experiences that enable them to demonstrate their commitment to the importance of rigor and coherence in the undergraduate experience, the implementation of policies and services to enhance student success, and the effective management of scarce resources to achieve maximum accomplishment.
Preferred qualifications include:
- A PhD in an academic discipline offered by the University, with credentials appropriate to faculty status in one of the programs of the University;
- Substantial administrative experience at the level of dean, associate dean, or other relevant position, and demonstrated achievements and effectiveness as a manager;
- Deep knowledge about issues related to undergraduate student success and a profound commitment to improving the educational success of a highly diverse student population;
- Knowledge of, and enthusiasm for using, data systems to inform program development and evaluation, to track student progress, to provide effective advising tools, and, generally, to inform decision-making and accountability;
- A personality that lends itself to securing the willing collaboration of faculty and professionals throughout the University and to serving as undergraduate students' chief academic advocate;
- Experience in raising funds and securing external grants; and
- Excellent communication skills.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
*When creating your profile, you will need to combine your resume and cover letter into one single document (PDF or MS Word).
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION