Assistant Men's Basketball Coach
Aurora University is an independent, comprehensive institution founded in 1893 offering bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees. Our two campuses are located in Aurora, Illinois and on the shores of Geneva Lake in Wisconsin. Additionally, we have an Educational Center in Woodstock, Illinois. We seek people passionately involved in the educational process who will help us realize our vision.
Position Purpose: The Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach supports the head coach with organizing, administrating and managing all aspects of the Aurora University NCAA Division III men’s basketball program.
- Represents Aurora University in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our service, learns and uses operating practices of the department and Aurora University.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Aurora University an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning.
- Handle confidential information with tact and discretion.
- Supports learning through performance of essential job functions and performing other duties and functions as necessary or as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
- Supports the head coach of the sport by carrying out assigned responsibilities.
- Understands and follows NCAA and conference rules and regulations. Follows NCAA rules as outlined in Bylaw 13 in the NCAA Division III Manual. Reports any alleged violations of NCAA, conference, or institutional rules and regulations.
- Recruits individual student-athletes or territories as directed by the head coach. Assists student-athletes and their parents in understanding the educational programs and opportunities at Aurora University as well as the opportunities in the athletic program. Answers questions to aid in the understanding of NCAA Division III rules related to recruitment.
- Coaching/Teaching: Coaches the position(s) or segments necessary as directed by the head coach. Keeps informed of contemporary trends, tactics, techniques and strategies in coaching, which includes developing a philosophy of what to teach and how to implement. Assists in the planning, implementation and evaluation of practices as necessary. Instructs student-athletes on high expectations for academic achievement; monitors the academic progress of student-athletes. Instructs student-athletes on a standard of proper safety.
- Maintains self-control and poise; provides an example of sportsmanlike conduct for team members, officials, opponents and spectators.
- Attends athletic department meetings and university community meetings and functions.
- Handles confidential information with tact and discretion.
- Drives university or rental vehicles as needed for away contests.
- Performs special and/or additional duties as required by the Assistant Vice President for Student Life/Director of Athletics.
Essential Job Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree from accredited college or university is required.
- Minimum of three years related experience.
- Excellent verbal and written skills required.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work with a wide range of constituents: student-athletes, parents, coaches, media, alumni, administrators, support staff, campus community and the community at-large.
- Ability to set and achieve or exceed goals and meet deadlines, strong strategic thinking and problem solving abilities
- General computer knowledge with a proficiency in Word and Excel.
- Knowledge of social media outlets.
- Evening and weekend availability is required
- Flexibility with an evolving work environment important
- Valid driver's license is required
- Physical ability to endure physically strenuous work-outs and physical exercise on a daily basis, including standing and/or walking for long periods, bending, stooping, lifting; manual dexterity; lifting of up to 30 pounds.
Benefit-eligible positions offer excellent benefits including health, dental, life, vision, long term disability, a 403(b) retirement plan through TIAA, and tuition remission. Please send resume with cover letter and contact information for three references including name, telephone and email address.
347 South Gladstone Ave
Aurora, IL 60506
630-844-5650 - fax
firstname.lastname@example.org - email
Aurora University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.