Assistant Professor of Health Sciences
Empire State College was established in 1971 by Dr. Ernest Boyer as a distinctive statewide institution focused on innovative and nontraditional teaching and learning.
The college continues its 47-year commitment experimenting with new, flexible, and individualized modes of learning through such practices as mentoring students throughout their academic studies, creating individualized degree plans, valuing learning gained from life and work experience, building professional and social student support communities and creating flexible modes of delivery to meet students' diverse learning preferences. The college now boast over 75,000 proud and successful alumni and partners while serving appropriately 17,500 students a year who want to expand their personal and professional horizons.
Empire State College is a part of the SUNY System and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. With headquarters in Saratoga Springs, New York, ESC serves mostly working adults pursuing associate, bachelor's and master's degrees online and onsite at 35 locations across the state of New York and abroad.
SUNY Empire State College seeks an Assistant Professor in Health Sciences for a tenure-track position in the Division of Science, Math, and Technology at the College's Brooklyn location. Working in cooperation with local and statewide faculty and staff, the successful candidate will provide high-quality educational services to students, engage in an active scholarly agenda, participate in governance, and enhance the college's reputation within the community. The successful candidate will teach anatomy and physiology and educational planning to allied health students as well as serve as lead faculty for the Empire State College-Center for Allied Health Education (ESC-CAHE) partnership. We are particularly interested in candidates with the ability to teach successfully across departments and who possess skills in the design, teaching, and coordination of online courses and assessments, Face-to-face teaching at our Brooklyn location is required and the successful candidate will be expected to also teach online and/or blended modalities.
- An earned doctorate from a regionally accredited US university or comparable non-US university in a health sciences discipline
- College-level teaching experience in a variety of teaching modes (e.g. blended learning, classroom, online)
- Excellent and effective communication, computational, and organizational skills
- Ability to work within a collaborative faculty environment
- Desire and skills to engage with a diverse student body
- Experience advising and/or mentoring students at the college level
- Knowledge of adult learning, learning technologies and online pedagogies
- Experience contributing to academic programing (e.g., program/course development, assessment of student learning outcomes)
- Regular travel will be required to fulfill department, division, and college-wide commitments
- Office hours and teaching schedule will vary to accommodate student needs, but include afternoon and evening hours
- Some weekend hours are required
- Regular involvement in governance and committee work is expected
Rank/Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Applications Due by: Applications accepted until position is filled.
Empire State College is an EOE employer.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security