Director of Student Financial Assistance
The following position requires familiarity with the community college philosophy, and the ability to work within a culturally diverse college population.
Date: March 1, 2018
TITLE OF POSITION/RANK: Director of Student Financial Assistance
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: Student Access, Involvement, and Success
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Director of Student Financial Assistance works with the Associate Dean of Enrollment Management to establish and interpret college policies and procedures within the guidelines of funding agencies to administer various financial aid programs. The director estimates and otherwise projects amounts of monies to allocate from the federal government, state and local agencies to ensure continuation of current programs. The director will also research new programs and recommend changes to existing programs as deemed
appropriate. S/he will supervise professional staff, clerical support staff and student assistants. Additional responsibilities include the following:
- Maintains a computerized financial aid system to accurately track funding and dispersal thereof; recommends enhancements to the system by reviewing yearly activity and analyzing efficiency;
- Ensures the appropriate implementation of all Title IV Federal Student Aid Programs, New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) and all other possibilities for student financing, procedures, and regulations;
- Develops written policies and procedures relating to financial aid and designs/updates materials which publicize and explain financial aid programs, the application process, eligibility requirements and students’ rights and responsibilities;
- Manages the processing of financial aid applications, student loan defaults, the collection of all required documents and data, the determination of awards, and the College’s PeopleSoft database management system as it pertains to the financial aid process.
- Participates in making policy decisions in areas such as academic pursuit and progress standards for maintaining eligibility for financial aid, tuition deferments, scheduling and disbursement of financial aid, and establishes an institutional policy for the delivery of financial support services to students;
- Conducts studies and completes required reports for all federal and state aid programs for the college;
- Works with students to assemble financial aid packages in accord with federal, state and local guidelines; ensures that the total funding available to the college will serve as many applicants, as possible.
- Collaborates with the offices of Admissions, Bursar, Scholarship Office, Registrar, Center for Academic Counseling and Student Success, and the College Bookstore to ensure College compliance with federal, state, and institutional regulations policies and procedures.
- The director shall do other related work, as required.
QUALIFICATIONS: A minimum of a Master’s degree and five years of experience at a supervisory level in Student Financial Assistance is required. Sufficient knowledge of: federal and state programs of financial assistance to students, standard procedures for analyzing the financial need of individual students from personal and family income and assets, and on-line financial aid management programs is required. Knowledge of the PeopleSoft Student Data Management System is highly preferred. Familiarity with the academic environment and the ability to communicate effectively with individuals and with groups is also required.
POSITION EFFECTIVE: Summer 2018
SALARY & BENEFITS: The starting salary is $93,428 plus excellent benefits.
TO APPLY: Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States at the time of hire. Candidates can send a letter expressing interest in this position, a resume, and three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate CODE:IHE - “Director of Student Financial Assistance” in the subject line of the email or mail to:
Director, Human Resources
Westchester Community College
HR Department, Administration Building – Suite B42
75 Grasslands Road
Valhalla, New York 10595
Fax: (914) 606-7838
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Priority will be given to applications received by April 15, 2018. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Westchester Community College provides accessible, high quality and affordable education to meet the needs of our diverse community. We are committed to student success, academic excellence and lifelong learning.
Apply for Director of Student Financial Assistance
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly