San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
Position #: 1800032
Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Transcript Assoc Degree (Must include Award/Confer Date)
CLASSIFIED EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
First Review Date:
$65,814 - $80,239 Annual Salary (Range 110: Classified Salary Schedule Fiscal Year 2016-2017). Starting placement is generally at Step 1.
Excellent fringe benefit package includes District paid medical, dental, vision, EAP (employee assistance plan) and life insurance for employee and eligible dependents, and income protection. Voluntary plans include supplemental life insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403b and 457 Deferred Compensation Accounts. Classified employees also receive vacation, sick leave and 18 paid holidays.
The Purchasing Agent reports to Assistant Director of Fiscal Services at the District Office. The work schedule is 12 months per year; Monday - Friday; 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. This position is represented by the California School Employees Association (CSEA), Chapter 363.
Coordinates purchasing services by acting as a buyer for the District. Performs specialized and technical duties associated with the purchase, delivery, and quality of supplies, equipment and services. Coordinates assigned activities with other departments, outside vendors and agencies and the general public.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Coordinates Purchasing services with those of other departments and outside vendors. 2. Reviews requisitions for the purchase of materials, supplies, equipment, and services for clarity of descriptions, specifications and documentation; contacts appropriate department for further information if needed; determines appropriate methods of procurement such as PO, BPO(, or Request for Check, including whether or not to bid it out legally or informally. Approves requisitions and enters them into the Requisition Log. 3. Researches, contacts, and selects potential vendors to receive proposals for price, quality, and timeliness of delivery. Makes independent judgment on purchases up to authorized dollar limits and specifications in conformance with established procurement procedures and legal requirements. Recommends current and/or new vendors. Conveys delivery, inventory, and quality goals to vendors. Processes Requisitions, Purchase Orders, Blanket Purchase Orders, Change Orders, Receipts, and updates vendor files, using purchasing software. 4. Anticipates and plans for upcoming projects; schedules, coordinates, obtains specifications, writes Request for Bids and Proposals, awards, processes, and expedites complicated advertised bids in coordination with Facilities Project Managers, Deans, Consultants and Vendors; makes certain the whole process moves smoothly and on schedule. 5. Establishes and communicates patterns of supply and product usage so that vendors can anticipate needs and meet requirements. Learns vendor cycles and procedures to optimize delivery time. Reviews trends in material and supply usage and acts when applicable. 6. Resolves discrepancies in requisitions, purchase orders, contracts, invoices, and receipts. 7. Develops and maintains a directory of vendors and necessary purchasing files. 8. Expedites orders and, working with the Warehouse, plans, organizes, and coordinates the physical inventory of the District’s fixed assets and prepares and processes board agendas, auctions, sales, and disposal of surplus. Works with the Accounting Department to maintain the fixed asset inventory spreadsheets. 9. Identifies opportunities for improving service delivery methods and procedures and views with appropriate management staff. Implements improvements. 10. Oversees and participates in developing and maintaining a directory of vendors. Pre-qualifies vendors based on price, service, quality, etc. 11. Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge and Skills:
- Requires specialized professional knowledge of purchasing and procurement programs including.
- Project management, contract negotiations and administration, cost analysis, file maintenance, warehousing, inventory control, and surplus disposal.
- Requires well developed communication skills both verbal and written.
- Must be able to give presentations, initiate and chair meetings with vendors and requestors, write detailed bids and specifications, send e-mails, and write formal letters.
- Must be proficient in Excel and Word, perform accurate mathematical calculations rapidly on 10key, perform internet searches, and have experience with Purchasing software programs and standard office equipment.
- Requires excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and multi task.
- Must be able to work independently and with sound judgment within procedural guidelines, to carry out both oral and written instructions, quickly identify problems and situations, and take appropriate action to resolve the underlying cause.
Special Licenses, Certificates, etc.:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Requires an Associates degree from an accredited college with major course work in purchasing, materials management, business administration, or a related field.
2. Four years of increasingly responsible purchasing, materials management, business administration.
3. Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, gender identity, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the students we serve ;and sensitivity to and knowledge and understanding of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
4. Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the District's hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so.
1. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
1. Requires ordinary ambulatory skills, visual acuity to read letters and numbers, auditory ability to carry on conversations in person and over the phone.
2. Sufficient hand-eye coordination to use a personal computer keyboard. Requires auditory ability to carry on conversations over the phone and in small group settings.
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District:
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
As of fall 2017, with enrollment of approximately 18,500 per semester, and an extremely diverse student population (Hispanic/Latino 44%, Black/African-American 4%, Asian/Pacific Islander 32%, American Indian/Native American 0.5%, White/Caucasian 11%) attaining educational goals reflecting 45% - AA Degree and Transfer to a 4-Year College/ University, the District's emphasis on student success makes it a recognized educational leader in the State.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse classified staff consisting of 41% Hispanic/Latino, 26% Asian/Pacific Islander, 5% Black/African American, 1% American Indian/Native American, 22% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement:
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, language, accent, immigration status, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and physical or mental disability consistent with applicable federal and state laws.
Human Resources/Employment Services, 40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113, (408) 270-6414.
Application Procedures, Notes and Contact Info:
Interested applicants MUST SUBMIT ONLINE ALL of the following materials by the closing date to be considered for the position (Posting at: https://sjeccd.hiretouch.com. Click "APPLY"):
1. A completed online San Jose/Evergreen Community College District POSITION APPLICATION
2. COVER LETTER (Must state how you meet ALL the minimum qualifications in EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE as described in the job announcement Minimum Qualifications section. Also, state how you meet other qualifications)
3. RESUME, and
4. TRANSCRIPT(S) - NOT DIPLOMAS - (unofficial or official copies) for stated degrees (having confer/award dates) or courses. Official transcripts will be required prior to employment start date should the position be offered. If foreign degrees, must submit Equivalency Certification (See #6 of the Instruction Section below).
If you do not have an electronic version of the transcript, you can get it scanned at Office Max, Office Depot, Staples, etc.; then attach the electronic version of your transcript to this online application at the later part of the application process.
For assistance, contact:
Office of Human Resources, Employment Services
40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113
Phone: (408) 270-6414 Fax: (408) 239-8818
Web site @ https://jobs.sjeccd.edu. or www.sjeccd.edu.
To learn more about us and all our open positions, visit: http://www.sjeccd.edu/district-services/human-resources/employment-opportunities