Outreach and Partnerships Manager
Center for Puerto Rican Studies (Centro) is a research institute that is dedicated to the study and interpretation of the Puerto Rican experience in the United States and that produces and disseminates relevant interdisciplinary research. Centro also collects, preserves, and provides access to library resources documenting Puerto Rican history and culture. We seek to link scholarship to social action and policy debates and to contribute to the betterment of our community and enrichment of Puerto Rican studies.
Centro, the only University-based research institute in the United States devoted to the interdisciplinary study of the Puerto Rican Experience, seeks an Outreach and Partnerships Manager with expertise to lead and engage in outreach initiatives aimed at prospective students, academic departments and community and government organizations, and be responsible for the outreach for all Centro partnerships and national events. The Outreach and Partnerships Manager will report to the Centro's Associate Director for Operations.
Outreach to the community and the profession is at the core of the Hunter College and CUNY institutes' and centers' missions. Centro has a strong record of such engagement with external stakeholders. We seek to build upon this foundation and strengthen our collaborations and outreach programs. In particular, we would like our outreach programs to be clearly connected to research and education. In general, we would like to promote wide community access to academic resources in the field and to strengthen the connections between scholars and practitioners and between our students and the community.
In addition to the CUNY Title Overview, responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Work along with Centro's leadership to develop and implement comprehensive and innovative outreach plans targeting individuals and organizations interested in supporting Centro's work.
- Develop short and long term outreach goals, objectives and activities and implementation strategies.
- Facilitate institutional partnerships with Puerto Rican and Latino Studies departments, community and government agencies, schools, student clubs, faith-based organizations, etc.
- Building a network of student, faculty and staff; recruiting, training and engaging students and community volunteers in outreach, internships and other activities.
- Participate in program development, evaluate program effectiveness, and make recommendations
- Establish and maintain a comprehensive database and an up-to-date directory of Puerto Rican organizations and professionals
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with members of the media, both CUNY and non-CUNY, who promote Centro ‘s Outreach efforts.
- Coordinate all Centro outreach events and activities
- Represent Centro at outside meetings, events, and conferences.
- Develop and give presentations to key groups, i.e., college and high school students, community organizations .
- Maintain up-to-date database records and write work plans and reports relevant to Outreach initiatives.
- Complete special projects assigned by Centro's Director.
Bachelor's degree and six years' related experience required.
The preferred candidate will have:
- MA degree or equivalent
- Experienced as a student, community or political organizer and be knowledgeable about the Puerto Rican community.
- Able to communicate effectively, both verbal and written
- Able to interpret data
- Must possess strong public relations and presentation skills
- Demonstrate use of appropriate and effective techniques to encourage community involvement.
- Must have considerable knowledge of current literature and developments in Puerto Rico and the Diaspora
- Must possess good computer skills (Microsoft office)
- Bilingual: English/Spanish language proficiency
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to communicate with a variety of stakeholders and to facilitate collaborative processes.
- Must be detail oriented with the ability to multi-task.
- Able to work independently; prioritize work and meet deadlines, with minimal supervision.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Manages a program or service providing community outreach and services on behalf of a College or Unit.
- Defines program goals, objectives, risks, and roles and responsibilities
- Collaborates with external organizations and community stakeholders to plan and execute program activities
- Develops and delivers direct service to external clientele
- Collects data on outcomes, and analyzes and reports results while planning new and improved services
- May manage an office staff of employees and/or volunteers, and have responsibility for fiscal administration
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Higher Education Associate
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the application instructions. Please have your curriculum vitae/ resume and scholarly interest or cover letter with names and contact information of 3 references available to attach into the application before you begin. Please note that the required material must be uploaded as ONE document. The document must be in .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format- and name of file should not exceed ten (10) characters. Incomplete application packages will not be considered.
The committee will review complete applications on February 8, 2018. Applications submitted after the deadline will only be considered if the position remains open after initial round. The search will continue until an appropriate candidate is found.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
Job Title: Outreach and Partnerships Manager - Center for Puerto Rican Studies (Centro)
Job ID: 18126
Location: Hunter College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.