Department Chair, Nursing (Tenure/Tenure-Track)
Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU-Denver) is a diverse serving undergraduate and graduate granting institution with approximately 21,000 undergraduate and graduate students. As one of the leaders in diverse enrollments among Colorado's four-year universities MSU Denver's students mirror the faces of Colorado, embodying a wide array of backgrounds and cultures.
The Department of Nursing program is housed in the College of Professional Studies and offers three types of undergraduate nursing programming: MSU Denver's Traditional Nursing Option (TNO), the Baccalaureate Registered Nurse Completion Option (BRNCO) and the Accelerated Nursing Option (ANO). Graduates are eligible to apply to take the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN). The mission of the Department of Nursing is to provide a high quality, accessible, enriching education to students pursuing a baccalaureate degree in nursing. Our learning community cultivates graduates who are prepared with the knowledge, skills and competencies to advance professional nursing practice in a diverse, global and technological society.
The MSU Denver Nursing Program subscribes to the standards and criteria set forth by the Board of Commissioners of the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN), formerly the National League of Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC).
The Chair of the Department of Nursing will lead the department and supervise all faculty and staff. The successful candidate must have the ability to work with and be sensitive to the educational needs of a diverse, urban student population.
The University is particularly interested in applicants who have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds and a demonstrated commitment to improving access to higher education for under-represented groups. Metropolitan State University of Denver is an equal opportunity employer.
Department Chair, Nursing (Tenure/Tenure-Track)
Salary for Announcement
Commensurate with experience and education
NUR - Nursing
FT Faculty-10 mo with benes
Chair of the Department of Nursing responsibilities include:
• Insuring and documenting the Nursing Education Program's compliance with the Nurse Practice Act, the State Board of Nursing's Rules and Regulations, and all other state or federal regulations.
• Providing a current written job description to the State Board of Nursing for all faculty positions.
• Developing and maintaining the relationship between the Nursing Education Program and the Governing Body, including but not limited to acting as liaison with other programs within the Governing Body and with other Nursing Education Programs.
• Demonstrating leadership within the faculty for the development, implementation and evaluation of the curriculum and other Nursing Education Program components.
• Participating in the budget planning process for and administering the Nursing Education Program budget.
• Recruiting and selecting faculty for employment, designing and monitoring development plans for faculty, conducting performance reviews of faculty, and participating in faculty promotion and retention.
• Developing and coordinating the use of educational facilities and clinical resources.
• Identifying and advocating for services needed by students in the Nursing Education Program.
• Acting as liaison with the State Board of Nursing.
• Developing and maintaining ongoing relationships within the community, including fostering the Nursing Education Program's responsiveness to community/employer needs.
• Participating in activities that facilitate the Chair's professional expertise in the areas of administration, teaching and maintenance of nursing competence.
• Determining the need for additional Faculty release time for administrative duties.
• The Chair also carries a teaching load according to University and State Board of Nursing requirements with 87% reassigned time for nursing program administrative responsibilities.
• Must be willing to conduct student assessments as prescribed by the curriculum; participate in program and curriculum development and evaluation; serve on Departmental, College and University committees, participate in the tenure track process by active engagement in scholarly activities that support professional development; and provide service to the community.
• The successful candidate must be willing to adhere to policies and procedures regarding students and faculty as established by the University, College and Department.
• The successful candidate must have the ability to work with and be sensitive to the educational needs of a diverse urban population.
• The Chair of the Department of Nursing is the nurse administrator for the baccalaureate registered nurse completion option, accelerated nursing option, and traditional nursing option.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Active unencumbered license to practice as a registered nurse in Colorado.
• An earned Doctorate in nursing or a related field.
• A minimum of a graduate degree in nursing from a Nursing Education Program with national nursing accreditation.
• Documented knowledge and skills related to teaching adults, teaching methodology, curriculum development and curriculum evaluation.
• Two years full-time experience or equivalent in teaching in an approved baccalaureate degree level or higher nursing education program.
• Two years of full-time or equivalent clinical experience as a practicing registered nurse
• Prior administrative experience with RN Completion and pre-licensure nursing education.
• Knowledge of the clinical placement landscape in Colorado.
• Demonstrated experience with successful national reaccreditation of baccalaureate nursing programs.
• Nursing education administrative experience, including budget management, hiring, supervision and evaluation of faculty and staff.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to secure and effectively manage grants.
• Demonstrated leadership skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with diverse groups.
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
IMPORTANT: In order to be considered as an applicant you must apply via the online application system, www.msudenverjobs.com.
References refers to a list of three professional references and their contact information.
Official transcripts will be required of the candidate selected for hire.
Please include a copy of your RN Licence in the other documentation slot.
For full consideration, applications must be submitted by 4/10/2018.