Associate Director of Public Safety (USP 3)
Job Title: Associate Director of Public Safety (USP 3)
Job ID: 2018268
Location: Storrs Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
The University of Connecticut Public Safety Division, located in Storrs, Connecticut, is seeking an experienced individual to serve as the Associate Director of Public Safety Emergency Management (University Staff Professional 3). Reporting to the Director of Public Safety, the Emergency Management Director coordinates the management of the administrative and operational services of the University of Connecticut's Division of Public Safety's Office of Emergency Management, including personnel, budget, and training. This position is responsible for effectively organizing, supervising, operating and managing the University of Connecticut's Emergency Management Program at all its campuses.
JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for coordinating with University stakeholders on the development, maintenance and implementation of comprehensive all hazard emergency plans and procedures consistent with State, federal and general Higher Education guidance. University plans include:
- Emergency Operations Plan
- Continuity of Operations Plan
- Hazard Mitigation Plans
- Recovery Plan
- Building Emergency Action Plans
- Other department emergency plans, as needed
- Coordinates and conducts hazard identification, risk assessments and consequence analysis of risks at all campuses and properties of the University of Connecticut.
- Develops University and operational policies that cross unit and department lines consistent with strategic planning initiatives/goals and regulations.
- Keeps informed of federal, state and local regulations affecting emergency management and ensures that plans adhere to these regulations.
- Establishes and maintains cooperative working relationships with the UConn community including University leadership, faculty, staff and students. Serves as a resource regarding information about emergency management, services, policies, and procedures. Attends University meetings, legislative hearings and other University-wide or town forum meetings.
- Serves as primary University representative to cultivate and maintain external partnerships with town, city, regional and statewide public and private agencies or organizations responsible for emergency planning and response. Acts as the University's liaison with State of Connecticut Emergency Operations Center and appropriate Division of Emergency Management and Homeland Security (DEMHS) Regional Coordinators.
- Maintains the emergency alert notification system. Develops policies, procedures and guidance for the use of the emergency notification system. Ensures regular testing of the emergency alert notification system.
- Responsible for the operation of the UConn Emergency Operations Center during planned events and emergency incidents. Develops plans for and maintenance of the infrastructure for the operations of the Emergency Operations Center that is always ready to be activated on short notice. This includes electronic equipment, computer equipment, telephone systems and communication programs within the Emergency Operations Center.
- Develops strategies and material for public education campaigns regarding University emergency preparedness and response activities.
- Develops and maintains a training and exercise program to ensure University readiness to implement emergency operations plans and procedures to respond and recover from all hazards emergency situations and to support significant planned events.
- Collaborates with other offices to prepare and analyze damage assessments following disasters or emergencies, and to prepare materials required by FEMA for reimbursement.
- Develops a disaster recovery contingency plan for the Division of Public Safety. Develops and maintains an effective process for managing and resolving user hardware and software problems, standard operating procedures, and operational readiness.
- Responsible for federal grant funding for emergency management related needs and administers and reports on the progress of such grants.
- Plans and manages a wide range of administrative functions and business operations that include management and information systems, improved business processes, procedures and communications for effective emergency management and disaster recovery operations.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution.
- Ten (10) years of experience in emergency planning and operational and resource management in a large governmental or private organization. Three (3) years of this experience must have been in a supervisory capacity.
- Excellent attention to detail and outstanding communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to work evening and weekend hours. Must be available for on-call hours during emergency situations, closures or significant events that affect the operation of the University.
- National Incident Management System (NIMS) and Incident Command Training - ICS 100, 700, 200 and 800 certification.
- Experience and involvement in the development of public safety procedural standards, plans, practices and operations.
- Must have valid driver's license.
- Applicants who are selected must be able to pass a comprehensive criminal history background check.
- Advanced degree in emergency preparedness/homeland security, planning, public administration, business administration or a closely related field.
- Experience in grant and contract administration.
- Considerable experience in planning, developing, implementing, monitoring and evaluating comprehensive emergency preparedness, homeland security or statewide public health emergency preparedness plans, procedures or programs.
- Completion of FEMA NIMS and ICS courses – ICS 300 and 400 certification.
- Experience working in a University setting in a position related to emergency management.
- Experience working in a hospital setting in a position related to emergency management.
- Extensive knowledge of the security and emergency management disciplines, including Incident Command and NIMS training.
- International Association of Emergency Managers Certified Emergency Manager certification.
- Knowledge of risk management practice.
- Knowledge of Connecticut Statutes and Federal, State and local laws applicable to public safety and emergency management.
This is a full-time, permanent position. The University offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits including employee and dependent tuition reimbursement at UConn. Salary will be commensurate with successful candidate's background and experience. For additional information regarding benefits visit: http://hr.uconn.edu/new-employee-orientation/
Please apply online at www.jobs.uconn.edu, Staff Positions. Interested candidates will submit a cover letter that demonstrates how you meet all of the minimum qualifications, all additional required qualifications and any preferred qualifications that you may have for this position, a resume and a list of contact information for (3) three professional references required. Successful candidate must be able to possess and retain a driver's license for the duration of this appointment.Employment of the successful candidate will be contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search # 2018268).
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on April 11, 2018.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University's teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn's ranking as one of the nation's top research universities. UConn's faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.