Senior Data Analyst: Data Analytics, Visualization and Management
The UCLA Fielding School of Public Health is searching for someone who is passionate about data analytics, visualization and management to join our team and play a leading role in harnessing data for insight and action.
We are looking for someone to gain a mastery of our data sources, and to build easy-to-use and intuitive dashboards to facilitate data-driven decision making within our organization. This person will also be responsible for the school’s public data portal, where our researchers can make their research data publicly available, as well as the school’s Mediasite program – the School’s lecture-capture technology that allows students to review their in-class lectures online asynchronously.
Data Management, Analytics and Visualization
- Working with stakeholders and end users to understand business requirements and objectives;
- Identifying data sources that will help provide insights to meet stakeholders’ needs;
- Converting raw data sets into clean, validated sources of data for visualization;
- Blending data sets from various sources;
- Creating dashboards that drive evidence-based decision-making for senior leadership;
- Presenting dashboards and insights to technical and non-technical audiences;
- Generating, validating, and maintaining analytical reports;
- Keeping dashboards up to date by seeking out and integrating updated data sources when they become available.
FSPH Public Data Portal
- Developing and maintaining the school’s online public data portal (note that this requires some basic skill in web development);
- Identifying and onboarding FSPH faculty members who wish to include their public data on the portal.
Mediasite Lecture Recording
- Managing the School’s Mediasite lecture-recording initiative, which records classroom courses and makes them available for online viewing to students in the course for the duration of the course
Applicants must submit their qualifications via UCLA's Career Opportunities website at https://hr.mycareer.ucla.edu. Reference UCLA REQ. # 27150
The complete listing of qualifications is available on UCLA's official job posting.
The ideal candidate will possess the following experience, education and attributes:
- Experience using Tableau, BIME, or a similar business intelligence tool;
- Ability to foster productive working relationships with faculty, staff, students;
- Experience presenting to technical and non-technical audiences;
- Experience preparing and presenting data insights to executive-level management;
- Experience developing and maintaining online data repositories and portals for public data;
- Experience in assessing the quality of raw data, cleaning the data, and preparing it for use in data visualization software;
- Experience producing recurring and ad-hoc reports for executive level management;
- The ability to apply critical thinking to working with data, in order to spot errors, develop creative ways of thinking about our data and delivering insightful visualizations;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Bachelor’s and/or master’s degree in Data Science, Management Information Systems, Analytics, Statistics, Computer Science, or related field;
- Interest, knowledge of and/or experience in public health or a related field;
- Some programming and web development knowledge;
- Experience building basic databases;
- Familiarity with Mediasite or other lecture-capture technologies.
UCLA offers a comprehensive benefits package, including an average of three weeks' vacation per year; an average of 12 days per year sick leave; 13 paid holidays per year; health, dental and optical benefits; life insurance; disability insurance; the University of California Retirement Plan with 5 year vesting and various voluntary UC Savings Plans. There are also special programs and privileges available, such as accessibility to cultural and recreational programs, athletic events, and the University Credit Union.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy - http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct