Technology Specialist/Senior Technology Specialist - Auxiliary IT Shared Services
Technology Specialist/Senior Technology Specialist
Auxiliary Shared Technology Services
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Applications are now being accepted for the position of Technology Specialist and Senior Technology Specialist positions for Auxiliary Shared Technology Services at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Auxiliary Shared Technology Services serves as the IT department for a variety of Auxiliary units on the campus to provide better efficiency, broader support, and operational resiliency, as well as create richer employment environment for the Auxiliary IT staff. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds who can help create and foster communities that strive toward our vision. This includes supporting the academic mission of the University by developing environments conducive to student learning and academic success, respecting, appreciating, advocating for the diversity of our student population, and supporting the holistic development of all of our students.
Position Functions and Major Responsibilities for Technology Specialist Position
Technology Specialist provides hardware, software, network and other related technology services, system administration, and desktop support within the established policies and guidelines of the Illini Union and University of Illinois.
- Serve as technology consultant and innovator for Illini Union staff and departments.
- Analyze functional and performance issues associated with use of technology and independently identify, design and implement actions to improve unique business processes or reduce costs.
- Apply technology with minimum supervision and using considerable evaluation, originality, and/or ingenuity.
- Plan and implement migration plans for major technology upgrades, including: Subject matter expertise encompassing Time & Attendance, Accounting, Point-of-Sale, Event Management, Microsoft Office Suite, as well as endpoint management and web tools.
- Design, configuration and operation of server farms, data arrays and controllers.
- Access and security in TCP/IP wired and wireless networks.
- Operation and configuration of Active Directory for Windows domain networks, management of Windows, Macintosh workstations and servers and mobile devices to enable the operation of critical business processes.
- Act as a technical and institutional resource for other Technology Specialists providing training and advice as needed.
- Supervise and train student technical support staff.
- Maintain knowledge of current and upcoming technology trends and their potential impact on the Illini Union operations.
- Perform other related duties as assigned to further the mission of the unit.
Position Functions and Major Responsibilities for Senior Technology Specialist Position
Responsible for overseeing administration of hardware, software, network and other related technology systems for Auxiliary units. As a senior staff member, the position provides leadership and architectural guidance in the design and implementation of these systems.
- Coordinate and administer hardware, software, and network technology operations of Auxiliary Units.
- Plan and develop tools to provide automated workstation installation, maintenance and software installation with Windows Deployment Services, SCCM, or similar systems management software
- Maintain critical administrative servers and applications, including file and print servers, MS SQL, Active Directory and Microsoft Office Suite o Maintain specialized servers and applications, such as time & attendance, accounting, point-of-sale software, and web tool software.
- Plan and implement migration plans for major software version upgrades and replacing outdated technologies with new and current technologies
- Analyze functional and performance issues associated with use of technology, collaborate with peers on possible solutions and implement corrective actions in a timely manner
- Apply technology with minimum supervision and using considerable evaluation, originality, and/or ingenuity
- Independently complete assigned projects with durations of six months or longer
Qualifications for Technology Specialist
Required: Bachelor's degree. Production server and Data Array administration experience. Experience with desktop and handheld/mobile hardware and software. Experience with Time & Attendance, Accounting, Point-of-Sale Software, Microsoft Office Suite and web tool software.
Required: Proficiency with Windows, Macintosh, or UNIX Network and Desktop operating systems on TCP/IP networks. Excellent understanding of relational databases and associated software. Excellent communications skills, ability to be flexible in a team-oriented department, and comfort working in an environment of many interruptions, are essential. Ability to function with a high level of independence and to exercise independent judgment in scheduling and completion of work assigned. Knowledgeable about current technology trends. Must be organized, detail-oriented and work well under pressure in order to meet multiple deadlines. Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality regarding sensitive information due to the nature of the information involved with transactions.
Qualifications for Senior Technology Specialist
Required: Bachelor's degree with five years of experience with workstation support and server administration in a large information technology organization required. Production server and virtual machine administration experience. Proficiency with Windows, Macintosh, or UNIX server network and desktop operating systems on TCP/IP networks. Experience using tools and resources to optimize the delivery of IT services to the end user, such as with endpoint management, imaging, or centralized solutions. Experience with desktop and hand-held/mobile hardware and software. Experience with time & attendance, accounting, point-of-sale systems, Microsoft Office Suite and web tool software. Excellent understanding of relational databases and associated software. Experience providing technical leadership and design guidance on IT projects and guiding other technical staff in achieving project completion.
Preferred: Bachelor's degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Business, or other related fields. Experience in an academic or campus environment.
Required: Excellent communications skills, ability to be flexible team oriented work environment, and ease of working through many interruptions are essential. Ability to function with a high level of independence and to exercise independent judgment in scheduling and completion of work assigned.
Preferred: Knowledgeable about current technology trends. Must be organized, detail oriented and work well under pressure in order to meet multiple deadlines. Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality regarding sensitive information due to the nature of the information involved with transactions.
Appointment Status: This is a 12-month, full-time academic professional position.
Salary: Commensurate with experience and includes an excellent benefits package.
Proposed Starting Date: As soon as possible.
Application Deadline: April 11, 2018. Interviews and hires may occur before the closing date; however, all applications received by the closing date (4/11/2018) will receive full consideration.
Application Procedures: All candidates must complete an online application at http://jobs.illinois.edu prior to the application deadline for full consideration. Qualified candidates must upload a letter of application, resume, and contact information (name, address, telephone number, and email address) for three current professional references. Official transcripts will be required for all finalists. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
For additional information regarding the application procedures, please contact:
Human Resources and Administrative Shared Services
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Illini Union
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Technology Specialist/Senior Technology Specialist - Auxiliary IT Shared Services
Open Date: 03/20/2018
Organization Name: Aux Shared Tech Serv Infrastructure