Assistant Director - Graduate Studies
Job Purpose: Serves as deputy to the Director of Graduate Studies, and supervises graduate student support services within the Office of Graduate Studies. Includes overseeing staff providing assistance to new and continuing graduate students, developing and implementing institute-level recruitment and retention efforts related to enhancing the graduate community on campus, and assisting and supporting the Director of Graduate Studies as needed in managing daily operations in the Office of Graduate Studies and participating in administrative processes across campus.
- Oversee the delivery of graduate student support services programs and events (e.g. new graduate student orientation welcome sessions, institute graduate fellowship programs, extended orientation programs and workshops, GradExpo resource fair, and other graduate student focused events).
- Organize and assign graduate student support staff responsibilities; monitor related employee performance and provide feedback and professional development opportunities.
- Respond directly to student and other inquiries as required; resolve issues requiring management attention in assistance to the Director of Graduate Studies.
- Implement and participate in graduate student recruitment and retention initiatives.
- Support the Director in development and, upon approval, implementation of enforcing policies, processes and procedures related to graduate studies.
- Monitor graduate student support staff activity, promoting staff adherence to policy and procedures, and enhancing stakeholder satisfaction.
- Evaluate and ensure graduate student support service standards are maintained in an appropriate manner.
- Education: Bachelors degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Work Experience: Four to six years job related experience
- Certifications: N/A
- Skills: This job requires advanced knowledge of administrative processes and possessing, strong customer service skills related to graduate studies and recruitment, including skills in staff supervision, program management, communications, and leadership. Advanced skills in oral and written communications, multi-tasking, and organization are required, as is use of office-related and specialized computer applications and systems (including electronic application systems, document imaging software, and Banner student information system).
Qualifications Preferred Qualifications:
- Preferred Education: Masters degree
- Preferred Work Experience: Five to seven years job related experience
- Preferred Certifications: N/A
- Preferred Skills: N/A
Additional Information: N/A
Impact & Influence: This position will interact on a consistent basis with: prospective and current graduate students, academic department faculty and staff, unit management, administrative staff in offices related to enrollment and student services, and vendors. This position typically will advise and counsel: prospective and current students, staff, and faculty. This position will supervise assigned Graduate Studies support staff.
Department Description The mission of the Office of Graduate Studies is to ensure the quality and relevance of graduate education and the academic success of our graduate students. Our office supports the more than 11,000 graduate students enrolled in nearly 100 master’s and doctoral-level degree programs offered at Tech. As a top-ranking institution in the heart of Atlanta, our students learn, work, and celebrate in a truly diverse environment with graduate students hailing from across the nation and almost 100 different countries around the world. From admission to orientation, curriculum requirements, and a myriad of other services, the Office of Graduate Studies is here to help you succeed throughout your time at Georgia Tech.