Dean of Applied Sciences
Title: Division Chair
Working Title: Dean of Applied Sciences
Department: Academic Affairs
Reports To: Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
Date Prepared: March 20, 2018
Prepared By: Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs
The Dean of Applied Sciences reports to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and has responsibility for the coordination, oversight, and assessment of applied science programs, courses, and faculty for campuses at Newport, Marked Tree, and Jonesboro. This role supports the College’s mission of providing and ensuring quality educational programs for ASUN’s various constituencies. The Dean for Applied Science must demonstrate strong leadership, management, and development skills to support the Associate Deans and faculty in teaching, industry partnership, and service within the departments of Commercial Driver Training, Diesel Technology, Computer Networking Technology, Welding, High Voltage Lineman Technology, Advanced Manufacturing, Industrial Maintenance, Energy Control Technology, Collision Repair and Refinishing Technology, Automotive Service Technology, and the IGNITE program.
This position is an administrative appointment and will be housed on the Newport campus but will work on all ASUN campus locations as needed. This position will provide direct supervision to three Associate Deans for Applied Sciences, the IGNITE Program Director/Coordinator, and one Academic Coordinator.
- A Master’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
- A minimum of 4 years of demonstrated work with industry partnership capacity building and advisory committee development and leadership, preferably at the two-year college level.
- A minimum of four-years of full-time teaching experience at the two-year college level, with two years of supervisory experience preferred.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Promotes, develops, and assesses quality programs that align with local industry needs.
- Cultivates and maintains strong industry and community partnerships to ensure local support and demand for applied sciences program graduates.
- Represents the Applied Sciences Division on the Academic Institutional Council and serves as a conduit for information to and from the other Academic Divisions, faculty, and staff.
- Exercises effective administrative and management skills through collegial communication with other ASUN departments.
- Provides effective management of fiscal policies and procedures within the Applied Sciences Division.
- Actively participates in partnerships geared toward resource acquisition, support, and funding to sustain program infrastructure, growth, and sustainability.
- Models effective decision making skills through use of the principles of shared leadership through open communication.
- Leads implementation of plans for assessment and improvement of student learning in the Applied Sciences Division, assists in accreditation efforts and oversees regular program reviews.
- Recommends and justifies program/department budget requests.
- Oversees indoor and outdoor laboratory and training facilities and coordinates appropriate safety guidelines, training, and equipment in conjunction with science faculty.
- Facilitates the student grievance process for issues within the Applied Sciences Division
- Coordinates special events related to the Applied Sciences Division (Weld-A-Thon, Lineman, Rodeo, Skills USA)
- Serves on college-wide committees, special project teams, state and local committees, and community service and civic committees as needed, and acts as a professional and positive representative of the College.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Arkansas State University - Newport is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff.