Student Finance - 926500
Is this an internal posting only?
The University of North Texas Student Financial Services is responsible for the billing and collection of tuition, fees and third-party charges while ensuring compliance with state and federal guidelines as well as UNT policies. The department also issues student ID cards, administers payment plans, processes refunds and issuea short-term loans to eligible students.
As one of the nation's largest public universities and the most comprehensive in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, we are dedicated to providing an excellent educational experience to a diverse student body of over 38,000 students. UNT is a student-focused public research university with 12 colleges and schools offering 103 bachelors, 86 masters, and 38 doctoral degree programs, many nationally and internationally recognized. With more than 400 student organizations, NCAA Division I athletics and an array of concerts presented by our world-renowned College of Music, there's something for everyone at UNT. UNT has been named by Forbes as one of America's 100 Best College Buys® for 17 consecutive years, the state's most affordable research university, according to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, and The Princeton Review named us a "Best in the West" university.
The UNT Student Financial Services Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire a Cashier to join our team. The Cashier performs routine (journey-level) receivables support work. Receives and records cash and charge payments. Balances cash receipts on a daily basis. Works under moderate supervision, with limited latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Receives and receipts a variety of payments and other cash and cash-related transactions.
* Verifies and posts to appropriate accounts.
* Issues receipts.
* Prepares cash receipts for bank deposit.
* Prepares daily cash reports and balances the cash drawer.
* Reconciles cash, check, and credit card receipts daily, and investigates and resolves any out-of-balance problems.
* Assists individuals in the accurate application of their transactions, and when necessary, researches records on electronic and other available files to provide information regarding financial status.
* Provides information to patrons regarding pertinent rules, policies, and procedures related to cash and cash-related transactions.
* Directs patrons to proper offices, as appropriate, to seek resolution of problems beyond the information available to the cashier.
* Maintains confidentiality of university and student records.
* Answer telephones.
* Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess an Associate's degree and one year of experience in accounting and/or auditing or any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provides the required knowledge, abilities, and skills. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and procedures affecting the maintenance of accounting records and automated accounting systems.
* Skill in the use of a personal computer and related office equipment.
* Ability to review work for accuracy, accurately perform detailed numerical work, make arithmetical computations, and prepare financial and accounting records.
* Ability to handle cash, maintain an accurate cash balance, and process credit transactions.* Ability to effectively communicate accounting information, policies, and/or procedures in a manner easily understood by the customer.
* Ability to analyze and solve problems.
* Good customer service skills.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Experience in processing payments and cash handling.
* Ability to consistently deliver exceptional customer service in-person, by phone and by electronic communications.
* Ability to work both independently and with a group.
* Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Quicklink for Posting