REG PART-TIME EMP/VET TECH REGISTRD DENTAL HYGNST
Duties: Client Communication/Education: Review the preoperative and postoperative considerations with clients
* Scheduling - Triage cases and prioritize those that are time sensitive
* Clinical dental and oral surgical procedures - Technicians/hygienists perform the initial portion of the anesthetized patient's treatment, including oral examination, dental charting, taking and processing intraoral radiographs, administering oral nerve blocks, scaling, root planing, gingival curettage, polishing of teeth and making dental models.
* Surgical/dental assisting - The dental assistant is supportive of the ongoing clinical procedures in the surgical operatory, such as setting up the surgical room for the specific procedures of the day and then break-down/cleaning of the instruments and equipment. During the patient's anesthetized procedure, the assistant provides instruments and supplies for specific types of dental procedures (e.g., root canal therapy, impressions for orthodontics, etc.) and various oral surgeries (e.g., mandibulectomies/maxillectomies, palate repairs, etc.)
* Clinical research assisting - DOS research projects may be clinically driven or retrospective, and thus our patients are our research subjects. This inherent overlap necessitates that our technicians/hygienists perform clinical details of research projects, such as collecting samples from anesthetized patients, obtaining measurements of periodontal attachment loss, gingival inflammation, plaque/calculus accumulation, processing of blood, urine, cultures, etc. Retrospective studies utilize the research assistant to support the project with administrative duties.
* Equipment Maintenance - Routine and emergency repair of dental equipment, instrument sharpening, ordering
*Administrative duties - Copying and filing dental records and student handouts, preparation of daily clinical schedules, room reservations for rounds, lectures and meetings.
* Teaching - Technicians/hygienists are imperative in clinical teaching of our students and residents, helping in rounds and wet labs to fourth-year students who rotate through the two-week clinical rotation in dentistry and oral surgery. Teaching duties VCSP877 (rotation labs-135 hrs + instruction during anesthetized procedures), Continuing Education wet labs for practicing veterinarians and technicians (60 hrs, including organizing, marketing, teaching wet-labs) *Student Chapter of the Foundation for Veterinary Dentistry Liaison - Meet with student representatives to plan lectures, wetlabs and activities for the club. This involves scheduling, ordering cadavers and supplies for labs, teaching, set up and clean up, communicating with sponsor organization
Qualifications: An Associate's Degree or two year college equivalent and 1 year to 2 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
* Must be an active Registered Dental Hygienist
* Minimum 1 year as an RDH
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
* Passion for teaching and lecturing
* Thrive under a fast-paced, challenging, and rewarding work environment
* Must be able to work independently as well as in a team environment
* Excellent organizational skills essential
* Certified/licensed/registered veterinary technician, preferred
Reference Number: 58-28281
Salary Grade: PT/24
Employment Type: Non-Exempt
Org: Ryan Veterinary Hospital
Special Requirements: Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
Job Family: Z-Non-Classified Staff/Non-Unionized Job Grades