Research Professor - Fixed Term
The Michigan State University College of Engineering and Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science (CHEMS) invites applications for the position of Research Professor in Composite Materials Manufacturing.
The successful candidate will:
- Have responsibility for research, education and outreach activities that support industry adoption and implementation of composites technology in the vehicles, wind energy and compressed gas storage areas;
- Manage the full-scale composites manufacturing scale-up R&D facilities in the Scale-up Research Facility (SuRF) in Detroit;
- Identify, organize and manage education and workforce development programs in composites manufacturing supported by State, City, and Foundations;
- Conduct composite manufacturing activities specified by Institute for Advanced Composites Manufacturing Innovation-IACMI (see www.iacmi.org) and MEDC grants;
- Represent MSU in support for the development of strategic initiatives and partnerships with state and federal government, industry and national labs in the composite manufacturing area.
The position will be filled at the Research Professor level in the university’s fixed term appointment system. This is an off-campus position located at the MSU-IACMI Scale-up Research Facility (SuRF) in Detroit. Occasional travel to the East Lansing campus will be required. The initial term of the appointment is April 2018 through March 31, 2020 and may be renewed annually thereafter contingent upon renewal of funds.
The candidate will report directly to the Chairperson of the CHEMS Department and work closely with the Associate Dean for Research and faculty from the College of Engineering.
MSU is an affirmative-action, equal opportunity employer. MSU is committed to achieving excellence through a diverse workforce and inclusive culture that encourages all people to reach their full potential. The university actively encourages applications or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans, and persons with disabilities.Required Degree
Doctorate -Chemical, Mechanical, Mechanics or relatMinimum Requirements
Candidates with an earned PhD in Chemical, Mechanical, Mechanics or related Engineering, with expertise in polymer composite materials are encouraged to apply. A particular emphasis is being placed on polymer composite processing and manufacturing.Required Application Materials
Applicants must submit:
- Detailed resume/CV
- Cover letter summarizing their qualifications
- Vision statement for polymer composite manufacturing,
- Names and contact information for three references that will be contacted only if the department requests it
For full consideration, applications should be received by April 3, 2018. Applications will be reviewed on a continuing basis thereafter until the position is filled. Interested individuals should submit an application for this position through: http://careers.msu.edu.
MSU offers an inclusive and collaborative work environment, and welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds.
Information about WorkLife at MSU and the College of Engineering can be found at http://www.egr.msu.edu/WE.