Assistant Director of Admissions
Date: March 20, 2018
Title: Assistant Director of Admissions
Description: Reporting to the Director of Admissions, the Assistant Director will be involved in all aspects of the general admission process: managing a recruitment territory, travel, organizing special events, coordinating with student volunteers, interviewing prospective students, reviewing applications, and other duties as assigned.
The position requires strong interpersonal and communication skills, the ability to relate to a broad range of constituents (students, parents, alumni, high school counselors, etc.), an appreciation for and sensitivity to a variety of backgrounds and traditions from which students may come, and the ability to work well both independently and collaboratively.
A more specific list of responsibilities includes, but is not be limited to:
- Traveling within a defined territory to visit high schools, attend college fairs and conferences.
- Reading and evaluating applications and participating in the selection of candidates for admission.
- Interviewing prospective candidates on and off-campus.
- Conducting information sessions.
- Answering admission inquiries from prospective students, parents, high school counselors, and others.
- Planning and implementing various on and off-campus programs and initiatives.
- Building and maintaining relationships with high schools and community-based organizations.
- Serving as liaison with other campus offices and/or departments.
- Working with alumni admission volunteers.
- Supporting of day-to-day admission processes.
- Participation in major campus events, including Commencement Weekend.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Valid driver’s license is required at the time employment commences.
- Up to 2 years of selective admission or related experience is preferred.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Technical expertise including familiarity with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc).
- Must be adept with social media.
- Must have a willingness to learn new software.
- Familiarity with Ellucian Colleague preferred.
Hartwick College Information:
An independent, residential liberal arts college enrolling approximately 1,400 full-time undergraduates, Hartwick embraces the teacher-scholar model, with teaching excellence as the first priority, and seeks to recruit, retain and promote a diverse workforce.
Located in the scenic Susquehanna River valley in Oneonta, NY, near the northern foothills of the Catskill Mountains, the College features a Liberal Arts in Practice curriculum and aspires to "be the best at melding liberal arts education with experiential learning."
Hartwick offers health benefits to domestic partners of employees, and prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation/preference and gender identity/expression. Hartwick is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to broadening “the understanding, awareness, and appreciation of diversity among all members of the Hartwick community.” Women, minorities, and other underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.
Hartwick College is committed to provide a safe and secure educational environment. Employment at Hartwick College is therefore contingent upon a successful background check on every new employee. Candidates to whom an offer of employment is made will be required to sign a Release of Information Form authorizing the College to conduct a thorough background check.
Hartwick College is committed to a diverse candidate pool, values an inclusive workforce and workplace environment, and wishes to minimize or eliminate the impact of implicit bias during the search and hiring process. To apply, please submit two single pdf copies of your application materials. One of these copies should have any and all reference to your name redacted. The other copy should leave any reference to your name intact. Both copies should be inclusive of the content below.
- cover letter
- Diversity Statement – a statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to diversity will support Hartwick College’s Diversity Statement (https://www.hartwick.edu/campus-life/intercultural-affairs/diversity-at-hartwick/)
- and the names and contact information for three references (at least one of your references must be from a current and/or previous supervisor)
All materials should be sent electronically to Jarvis McCowin, Coordinator of Inclusion, at email@example.com with [Position Title] in the subject line. Applications may also be mailed to the Office of Human Resources, Hartwick College, P.O. Box 4020, Oneonta, NY 13820 or faxed to 607-431-4329. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
To see an example of a redacted resume, please visit the following (https://www.hartwick.edu/about-us/employment/human-resources/employment-opportunities/staff-positions/redacted-staff/).