I. DEPARTMENT INFORMATION
Job Description Summary:
The GWU Cancer Center is a newly established center established to address the multidimensional world of cancer by offering an interdisciplinary approach to research and treatment: pairing clinicians with immunologists, geneticists, bioengineers, microbiologists, and policy experts to offer broad exploration of the disease.
The Bollard and Cruz laboratory, established in 2017, focuses on developing cell-based immunotherapies for treating cancer. The group works with a full bench to bedside platform – developing cell products in the laboratory for subsequent infusion into patients enrolled in clinical trials.
This position supports the current researchers (principal investigators, postdoctoral scientists, graduate students, senior technicians, laboratory manager) in planning, executing, and analyzing experiments geared towards improving on or introducing new cellular therapies against malignancies. The laboratory assistant conducts experiments under the supervision of the principal investigator and his graduate students and postdoctoral scientists, and receives mentoring and guidance from the principal investigator in matters related to advancing their career in academic science.
The responsibilities include:
- General upkeep of the laboratory, in order to maintain a good laboratory practice (GLP)-level facility equipped to both develop cellular therapies and analyze patient samples from individuals enrolled in clinical trials
- Optimizes, develops, and executes experiments planned by the principal investigator and graduate students, which include assays involving: cell culture, animal care/husbandry/research, immune-based assays, gene modification (using viral transduction and other methods), handling of human samples (blood, tissue, others)
- Plans and schedules experiments consistent with the timeline and objectives of the research group
- Maintains equipment and performs common lab jobs
- Maintains lab inventory and helps with ordering and receiving reagents, supplies, and equipment
- Helps train students
- Participates in group meetings, including presentation of their data and their work
- Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a high school diploma/GED, or, a Bachelor’s degree or higher in a relevant area of study. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
Experience in basic and clinical research related to cell-based immunotherapies.
I. POSITION INFORMATION
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C. College/School/Department: School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS) Family Research and Labs Sub-Family Laboratory Support Stream Service and Support Level Level 1 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8:30 to 5:00 Position Designation: Non-Essential: Employees who are not required to work unless directed to do so by their supervisor. Telework: Required Background Check Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants: Internal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: R000499 Job Open Date: 03/19/2018 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Curriculum Vitae
- Names and Contact Information for References
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Letter of Recommendation 3
- List of Publications