Lab Technician, Construction - 80%
Job ID 601812
Location Green Bay
Department: Trades & Engineering Technologies
Reports To: Associate Dean, Construction
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Amount of Travel Required: Drive to local off campus instructional sites daily
Union Code: ESS
Positions Supervised: None
Salary Grade: D
LOCATION: Green Bay
HOURS: 40 hours per week; Typical hours Monday - Friday 7:00 am - 5:30 pm, when classes are in session. Flexibility in schedule is required for day, night or weekend classes as needed
Minimum Starting Wage: $23.29 per hour
*Current benefit eligible employees will be placed within the pay range based on their current rate/range.
Anticipated Start Date: August 2018
Required online application available on website: www.nwtc.edu/jobs
Location: Northeast Wisconsin Technical College, Human Resources, 2740 West Mason Street, Green Bay, WI 54307-9042. All postings are considered current and available until removed from the website.
Northeast Wisconsin Technical College is committed to promoting a learning environment where employees and students of differing perspectives and cultural backgrounds pursue career and academic goals embraced in an environment of respect and shared inquiry.
The College is seeking to attract ethnically diverse instructors and staff who can inspire our increasingly diverse student population.
Responsible for assisting with the training of a diverse group of students in residential and commercial building construction. Responsible for maintenance, organization, and appearance of the shops including preventative maintenance of all tools and equipment used in the instructional process and ordering and maintaining supplies, tools, etc. Also responsible for assisting instructors in safety instruction, demonstrations, individual help for students, constructing training aids, coordinating work or other trades, meeting with clients, etc.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the functions identified in the job description.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
- Support the instructional process in residential and commercial construction including performing demonstrations, assisting with instruction, providing individual help for students, and constructing training aids.
- Ensure safe operations in the lab and on-site jobs at all times by assisting instructors in overseeing students in the proper and safe way of construction.
- Assist the instructor in coordinating work between programs and outside trades.
- Order supplies, tools and equipment to run the lab and job efficiently and maintain the proper inventory of equipment and supplies.
- Responsible for the repair and maintenance of tools equipment to keep labs and projects operating on schedule.
- Responsible for the maintenance, organization, and appearance of labs.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Values - Demonstrate behaviors and action that support the College's values - Customer Focus, Everyone Has Worth, Passion and Inspiration, Collaboration, Emotional Intelligence, Results and Accountability, Valuing Talent and Well Being, and Ethics.
- Student Success - Demonstrate behaviors and actions that support student recruitment, retention, and student success initiatives.
- Diversity Oriented - Ability to work effectively with people regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, disability, socio-economic background, or job type.
- Working Under Pressure - Ability to complete assigned tasks under stressful situations.
- Accountability - Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Customer Oriented - Ability to take care of the customers' needs while following company procedures.
- Detail Oriented - Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
- Reliability - The trait of being dependable and trustworthy.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Education: Technical diploma in carpentry, electricity, masonry or related trade OR registered journey worker certificate in carpentry, electricity, masonry or related trade with a preference for education/training in carpentry.
Experience: Four years of direct occupational experience in a construction trade with a preference for experience in carpentry.
*An equivalent combination of education and work experience may be considered.
Basic Keyboarding skills; Internet Browsers; MS-Word; and MS-Excel preferred.
Certificates & Licenses
OSHA 30-hour certification (highly desirable)
Must hold a valid driver's license (CDL preferred) and be insurable under the districts standard insurance policy terms.
Handling / Fingering
Reach Above Shoulder
Squat or Kneel
10 lbs or less
Over 100 lbs
12 lbs or less
N (Not Applicable)
Activity is not applicable to this occupation.
Occupation requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0 - 2.5+ hrs/day)
Occupation requires this activity from 33% - 66% of the time (2.5 - 5.5+ hrs/day)
Occupation requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5+ hrs/day)
Other Physical Requirements
Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) (Safety Protection as needed for the job.)
Exposure to dust, fumes and noise is part of the work environment.
The College has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee's ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and the College reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as the College may deem appropriate.
NWTC does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, disability, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin or other protected classes.