Hyde Park Campus
About the Unit
The University of Chicago Production and Design Department is responsible for the design, production, and manufacturing of new books and reprints, in print and electronic form, for the Press Books Division.
- The Graphics Specialist coordinates and performs design-related tasks for approximately 100 new titles and reprints per year. This includes interior and jacket design of books in all disciplines, and the coordination of projects with freelance designers.
- Prepare type specifications for new text material to be added to in-house reprints and out-of-house paperbacks.
- Adapt jacket keylines into cover keylines for in-house reprints; create electronic keylines in Adobe InDesign.
- Coordinate freelance book and cover designs (serve as liason between Press and the freelance designers hired by Design + Production Director).
- Cover design, title page design, and opportunity to design new, straightforward manuscripts.
- Train and become adept at electronic page make-up/typesetting using Adobe InDesign.
- Assist with departmental tasks at discretion of Design + Production Director.
- Excellent typographic sense and skill required.
- Up-to-date knowledge of current typesetting and graphics arts processes required.
- Demonstrated conceptual and design ability preferred.
- Experience with Macintosh platform required.
- Competence with Adobe InDesign, Adobe PhotoShop, and Adobe Illustrator required.
Quark XPress, Oxygen, preferred.
- Experience with ebooks (EPUB/MOBI formats) and HTML preferred
- Ability to work creatively within limited budgets required.
- High degree of organization and the ability to handle a number of overlapping projects required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills in relating to peers and superiors required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
Education, Experience, and Certifications:
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Two years of experience in art/graphic design required.
- Monograph, trade, and illustrated book design experience with portfolio of typographic and illustrated text and jacket design examples preferred.
Technical Knowledge or Skills:
- Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator and Adobe PhotoShop required.
- Cover Letter
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application.
Depends on Qualification
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Job is Exempt?
Drug Test Required?
Does this position require incumbent to operate a vehicle on the job?
Health Screen Required?
Remove from Posting On or Before
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
The University of Chicago is an urban research university that has driven new ways of thinking since 1890. Our commitment to free and open inquiry draws inspired scholars to our global campuses, where ideas are born that challenge and change the world.
We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of original ideas. Students in the College develop critical, analytic, and writing skills in our rigorous, interdisciplinary core curriculum. Through graduate programs, students test their ideas with UChicago scholars, and become the next generation of leaders in academia, industry, nonprofits, and government.
To learn more about the university click here http://www.uchicago.edu/